High priced flight helmet

usaf70

Austin_Militaria

It is a HGU-2/p helmet, but has the leather tabs for securing the O2 mask. A rare model helmet.

And somebody really wanted this helmet for their collection. They had a lot of disposable income also. Lastly it's a beauty. It's in pretty nice shape with the exception of the O mask.

I have over paid for items that I really wanted. I didn't care what it cost. I wanted it. That type of scenario is the one where they say, a fool and his money...are soon separated. I been separated from money for a loooonnng time.

Ronnie

Austin_Militaria

No one overpaid for this helmet. An HGU-2/P with the leather tabs/snaps is rare. The leather tabs for the O2 mask were only used for a very short time on the HGU-2/P helmet. It then went to a bayonet type O2 mask connector. This was a transition period from the P series helmets that used the leather tabs.

northcoastaero

This helmet is an early variation of the USAF HGU-2/P with slotted type visor assy. and push button visor lock knob like the early USN/USMC APH-5. Also, the blue fitting pads and chin/nape straps/pads. Possibly an unique mechanism behind the black ear cups. The leather tabs with snaps for oxygen mask attachment were continued into later versions of the HGU-2/P and possibly very early HGU-2A/P helmets. As mentioned above, they were usually removed and other bayonet type mask receivers were added. The mask may be an early MBU-3/P (MS-22001 variant).

That is an excellent example. I have an HGU-2/P with the leather tabs and snaps in my collection too but I had no idea it was worth that kind of money. Maybe I should throw it on eBay...

• 4 months later...

Hello....this is an incredibly rare USAF version of the APH-5. These were done in prototype versions for testing in 58/59 but the USAF ended up standardizing on the HGU-2/p version for operational use in 1960. The similarities to the APH helmet are the metal visor tracking flanges on the sides, and the blue chin and nape straps, what's unique to this version of the helmet is the earphone attaching devices...a very complex vinly/spring/metal configuration that was left in the design "trash-bin" when the HGU-2p came out. The latex covered foam MX-2088/U earphones are the same that were adopted in the production unit as well. Only a handful of these floating around out there.