Soldiers Medal/ Purple Heart for a tragic day in France

GIKyle

On 10 December 1944 B-26C, #42-107844, returning from an operational mission crashed at the East-West runway at Advance Landing Ground A-71, Chastres, France, and immediately burst into flames. Two crash crews from the 2047th Engineer Firefighting Platoon arrived at the scene of the crash at 1134 hours. The crash crew with the aid of the Medical Corps had rescued two of the wounded crew members. In an attempt to rescue the third member the bomb load which the plane was carrying detonated and resulted in the deaths of at least fifteen soldiers from the 2047th in addition to another eighteen from the bomb squadron. The members of the 2047th killed while trying to save others all received posthumous Soldiers' Medals for their efforts. Below is one of those men. I would like to invite Tom Lane to post the posthumous Purple Heart to a member of the bomb squadron in his possession.

Kyle

post-537-0-80949900-1468790842.jpg

post-537-0-17019400-1468790850.jpg

Very very cool pair, Kyle. Here's the pic you requested. Major Robert E. Murphy was the 559th's Squadron Commander, and was also killed attempting to save crew members from the crashed aircraft.

post-126-0-50203900-1468799208.jpg

Squad leader

Thanks for sharing.

Just a correction the airfield was located in Clastres (department of Aisne) not Chastres which is mispelled.

Dan.

Thanks for posting Kyle. That is a SUPER rare officially engraved Soldier Medal. I don't think most people realize how truly rare this medal is.

Kurt

Thanks a lot Kurt! As I recall you mentioned the "C.E." designation for Combat Engineers was somewhat unique?

I appreciate your help when I was getting this.

Kyle

It is unique. I have seen them with INF, FA, and AC. This is the only I have seen with CE which I believe is Corps of Engineers.

Kurt

• 3 months later...

Thanks for posting the pictures. As a retired army firefighter and author of Army Fire Fighting: A Histrorical Perspective, it is great to see the actual medals awarded to these firefighters.

Allen Ward

Army Firefighting Historian

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

On 10 December 1944 B-26C, #42-107844, returning from an operational mission crashed at the East-West runway at Advance Landing Ground A-71, Chastres, France, and immediately burst into flames. Two crash crews from the 2047th Engineer Firefighting Platoon arrived at the scene of the crash at 1134 hours. The crash crew with the aid of the Medical Corps had rescued two of the wounded crew members. In an attempt to rescue the third member the bomb load which the plane was carrying detonated and resulted in the deaths of at least fifteen soldiers from the 2047th in addition to another eighteen from the bomb squadron. The members of the 2047th killed while trying to save others all received posthumous Soldiers' Medals for their efforts. Below is one of those men. I would like to invite Tom Lane to post the posthumous Purple Heart to a member of the bomb squadron in his possession.

Kyle

attachicon.gifFullSizeRender_4.jpg

attachicon.gifFullSizeRender_3.jpg

Hello, my name is Dean Joseph Sandstrom, I am a veteran of the US Army. Joseph H. Sandstrom was my uncle. He was my father's older brother. Thanks for posting these medals. I am glad that he will be remembered and honored on this site. Joseph served as a Private First Class, 2047th Engineer Fire Fighting Platoon, Aviation, U.S. Army Air Force during World War II. He resided in Middlesex County, Connecticut prior to the war. He enlisted in the Army on April 27, 1943 in Hartford, Connecticut. He was noted, at the time of his enlistment, as being employed as a Driver and also as Single, without dependents.He was assigned to the Advance Landing Ground A-71 in Clastres, France. B-26C #42-107844, while returning from an operational mission, crash landed on the East-West runway at Clastres and immediately caught on fire at 1134 hours. Members of the 2047th Engineer Fire Fighting Platoon, Military Police, and medical personnel quickly responded to the crashed B-26 in an effort to aid & rescue the crew and to contain the fire as best as they could.Two members of the crew were quickly removed from the B-26 by medical personnel and put in an ambulance as others continued to try and control the fire.When an attempt was made to rescue a third crew member the bomb load on the B-26 exploded. This explosion killed the entire crew of the B-26 and many of the ground crew attempting to save them.Joseph was killed in action in this explosion at Clastres, France during the war. He was awarded the Soldier's Medal and the Purple Heart. Joseph was the son of Mrs. Thomas Sandstrom who resided in Middletown, Connecticut.

Dean, thanks for posting. I worked with forum member Dave to have Sandstroms story added to his upcoming book on posthumous Purple Hearts- having seen the proofs of the book I can confidently say that your Uncles memory will continue to live on.

Kyle

Do you by any chance have the names of the others who were awarded the Soldiers Medal for this action? And, by any chance do you have the General Orders (number and date) awarding the medals? I would like to add their names to my Soldiers Medal database (which now has over 10,000 names). Thanks!

Nick