101st Airborne Grouping - And Some Questions

Reforger

I couldn't pass up this little Airborne grouping. I really like the patch. I do have a couple of questions though, maybe some can help.

The items were glued in a frame. The patch and collar disc came off quite well, but the shrapnel piece has a lot of glue stuck to it. Does anyone know a good way to remove it?

According to the note on the frame, all 3 pieces should be from Fred Wolford of West Virginia, A Company, 327th Glider Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division. I tried finding something on this person but with no success. Can anyone verify that there actually was a Fred Wolford who served in this unit? I know someone could just have claimed the pieces to be from this soldier, but I think the chances aren't too bad it may be true.

Thanks for your help!

post-152976-0-67752200-1468682274.jpg

Nice items! The white tongue patch is very desirable. PFC Fred O. Wolford served in Company A, 1st Battalion 327th GIR. His ASN was 35290550 and he was indeed from WVA. He was awarded a Bronze Star under GO # 153 1945

I would put the shrapnel in the freezer for a few days, then try to chip that glue off. I'll bet it will pop right off.

firefighter

Believe or not I've had good luck with lighter fluid removing glue. That is a great looking white tongue 101st, looks like a green back? Nice original WW2 A/B tab with it. Any idea on what type of shell that pice of shrapnel came from?

http://www.ww2enlistment.org/index.php?page=directory&rec=5466378

https://billiongraves.com/grave/Fred-O-Wolford/4280645

Wow, that's some great news. This soldier must have experienced quite some action. Any more info on him is greatly appreciated.

Yes, the patch is a nice greenback. I'm happy to have an original patch from this legendary unit. I don't know what shell the shrapnel is from. Thanks for the freezer hint, I'm going to try that first.

firefighter

I couldn't find anything about him being wounded so he probably picked up the shrapnel in the field, to bad you don't know where.If it was Normandy or Bastogne that would be cool.

The 101st awarded hundreds of meritorious service Bronze Star medals in 1945, right at the end of the war. No Purple Heart is listed in the Pulles Rosters, but that is not definitive. If he was hit by a piece of shrapnel that big though, I think he would be missing a body part or be dead. Chances are is was juyst picked up. That greenback white tongue is really a nice one..!