My Hand Carved 8th AAF Figure

Ronnie

A while back I tried carving a few pieces. I started with balsa wood and carved a duck or two. Then I moved up to bass wood which I think is the best kind of wood to carve. Anyway I ended up carving about 1/2 dozen hand size ducks. Then painted them. Next I was ready to try a figure. I had a 4x4 piece of bass wood. I then had my wife take four photos of me dressed in WWII AAF flyers clothing. She took a photo straight on then one from each side and one from the rear. I then drew the basic outline or shape on the front then the sides and finally the rear. Then I started cutting wood away. It is not the best work I've seen but remember it was my first shot....and only shot at a hand carved figure. I painted his jacket to match a friends who had flown with the 95th BG (Heavy). Hope you like it.

Ronnie

post-7752-0-01383400-1468645789.jpeg

post-7752-0-96418100-1468645836.jpeg

post-7752-0-29056400-1468645846.jpeg

post-7752-0-70499000-1468645855.jpeg

Thanks Robert, thanks Kraut. I'm sort of at a stand still on my Pacific Navy Base. I am gonna go to a hobby store in Memphis and have them help me with the terrain. I just don't know how to start on that. As far as models go I don't build them so there is nothing else to see. This Pacific deal just happened when I ran across some small wood strips that I made my latrine from. I just wanted to build something. I built it then got the idea about the island thing.

Thank you all.

Ronnie

General Apathy

A while back I tried carving a few pieces. I started with balsa wood and carved a duck or two. Then I moved up to bass wood which I think is the best kind of wood to carve. Anyway I ended up carving about 1/2 dozen hand size ducks. Then painted them. Next I was ready to try a figure. I had a 4x4 piece of bass wood. I then had my wife take four photos of me dressed in WWII AAF flyers clothing. She took a photo straight on then one from each side and one from the rear. I then drew the basic outline or shape on the front then the sides and finally the rear. Then I started cutting wood away. It is not the best work I've seen but remember it was my first shot....and only shot at a hand carved figure. I painted his jacket to match a friends who had flown with the 95th BG (Heavy). Hope you like it.

Ronnie

Hi Ronnie, really love the effigy of yourself, that's a talent to be proud of , and you should be taking commissions .

Thanks for your comments about my Jeep on my Normandy blog, and would you like to add your figure to the blog so that readers of that thread can see it as well, also add your text about carving it as well.

Lewis.

Ronnie

It has to be said..."A chip off the old block"...

The Meatcan

Nice job! Didn't take long for you to move up from ducks to figures which are so much more difficult. Looking forward to seeing more of your carving skills.

Terry

A was a little skinnier back then Robert.

Lewis I will post it in your Normandy site and thanks for the comments. Thanks Mike and

thank you all for the nice comments.

Ronnie

Manny the hat is molded from modeling clay. I screwed up carving the cap so I had to just round off his noggin. Then I purchased some modeling clay that did not have to be heated to cure. It had to set up for about 24 hours. Thanks for your comments.

Ronnie

post-7752-0-83913000-1468708500.jpeg

manayunkman

The woes of trial and error.

Still looks great.

You should start making your own figures from clay.

You've got talent there as well.

WOW! I can't believe this is your first attempt at carving a figure. It looks amazing! Did you take any pictures during your process?

...Kat

Thanks Manny. Yes trial and error. Carve a little to much off and wham you're screwed. I can take wood off but I can't add any.

Ronnie

Garandomatic

Sculpting, i think, (such as wax or clay) is relatively easy compared to carving in my opinion. You accomplished a daunting task quite well.

Thanks Kat....I don't know about amazing but I appreciate the kind words. No I didn't take photos. I carved this in the days before camera's on telephones. I did this in 1994 I think. If I ever carve another I will definitely record the process with photos. Also if I do carve another I will make use of the Dremel Tool. The Dremel will make this so much easier.

Ronnie

Thanks Garando I appreciate that. You guys are gonna keep on till you get me in the mood to do another!

Ronnie