WW2 LEE made flight suit?

Phantomf4

I got this today in a USMC pilot grouping, Is this private purchase or? You can see where there was a leather name tab sewed to the left breast.

post-153748-0-14462900-1468643497.jpg

post-153748-0-46153300-1468643545.jpg

Looks like a A4 early pattern suit.Also looks like a typical air corps style leather name tape was removed

Mine has a gold/yellow spec lable in it.Will check the maker.

Any other lables on the lower inside left of the suit?

vintageproductions

Not private Purchase. Lee made a lot of Gaberdine flight suits. Usually on on the snaps will have the Lee logo with the long L.

Yes it has the long L lee on the button snaps, why do these not have government contract labels etc? This was in a Marine Corp pilot grouping.

phantomfixer

...The A-4 IIRC had a govt tag along the zipper ... about midway down...Marine could have used the suit...hard to say unless photo of him wearing it...

No tag, can't see where there ever was one either. This couldn't be a AN-S-31 suit could it? It was a joint navy and army suit.

No tag, can't see where there ever was one either. This couldn't be a AN-S-31 suit could it? It was a joint navy and army suit.

Hello

No it really looks identical to an A4 suit.

The government accepted a suit like this without a govt. spec. label? They made Ford and Willys remove their names from the back of jeeps. I agree this looks like the standard flying suit but I have never seen one with a label like this.

Ronnie

phantomfixer

collar and slant pocket...looks to be A-4 ... AN-S-31 woulda had two chest pockets, collar etc...would not be a stretch to say a Marine aviator used an AAF A-4 flight suit...

You're right Ronnie, it does not. I was trying to point out that Lee did make these suits with spec labels. All good mate.

I once had an A4 flight suit with GOVT spec labels and Lee press studs.

I have the same suit as 63Recon by the sounds of it. Made by LEE with the black military label but with the long L Lee snaps.

Can't remember 100% if it says HD Lee on the label as the maker. If memory serves me correctly it doesn't.