Small Grouping to a Tough 'Ombre Artilleryman

J.S.

I picked up this group at a local antique store. It belonged to an artilleryman with the 345th Field Artillery, 90th Infantry Division "Tough 'Ombres". He fought at the Bulge, where he received the Christmas prayer card given out to Third Army troops. The EAME Campaign Ribbon with one campaign star is his, and the photo shows him during training at Camp Barkeley in Texas. I threw in a WWII-vintage 90th Division patch to round the group out. I know it's a pretty small grouping compared to a lot of the great ones on here, but I still like it.

post-153699-0-15630300-1468621581.jpeg

How will you document that the SSI is not original to the group if you sell or trade?

I'd like opinions on the validity of adding items to "round out" or improve an identified group? Or, the restoration of insignia to uniforms (sometimes on pure speculation alone). How do collectors prevent original groups or uniforms from getting more "original" than they began? When they are sold, are items removed from groups and insignia removed from uniforms? How many hands do items go through before the true provenance is lost?

How will you document that the SSI is not original to the group if you sell or trade?

I'd like opinions on the validity of adding items to "round out" or improve an identified group? Or, the restoration of insignia to uniforms (sometimes on pure speculation alone). How do collectors prevent original groups or uniforms from getting more "original" than they began? When they are sold, are items removed from groups and insignia removed from uniforms? How many hands do items go through before the true provenance is lost?

If I do sell the group, which is highly doubtful, the 90th SSI certainly will not come with for exactly this reason. The inclusion of the SSI is just a preference for presentation, and I will never pass it off as original to the group.