Great Wing Opp- Pre-WWII "cloud shoulder" pattern wing

mtnman

I think you are starting to see the same discrepancy I do. There is a SECOND DIFFERENT Faintly covered over RELIEF sterling mark on the rear of the air crew wing ABOVE THE INCISED MARK. I do not buy it for a minute as original. Look at the fletching grooves.

Wait, what? Are you talking about Cliff's air crew wing that's on my site as not being original? I'd have some serious heartburn with that assessment. There is nothing on that wing that would make me think it's not original. Yes, there appears to be a shadow sterling mark about the one that is clearly seen but the construction of the wing, the strike of the wing and the wear of the wing all look exactly as I would expect. The fletching grooves look perfect to me. The non perfect lines on the shield do not look like casting shrinking to me and look like they were part of the original hand carved die. Is this the wing you're talking about? http://www.ww2wings.com/wings/usaaf/aircrew/presleyaafaircrew2.shtml Because if that's fake then I'm done with the hobby. Perhaps you're talking about a different wing.

5thwingmarty

I had missed that secondary Sterling mark on the aircrew wing. The fletching grooves on the aircrew wing, although similar to the pilot wings' do look much sharper on the aircrew wing. I still think the aircrew wings were made by the same manufacturer as the pilot wings, but with completely different dies not just modified dies. I am guessing there are observer wings out there in this same pattern but we just haven't had any photos of them posted. It seems crazy that a company would make such beautiful pilot wings for officers, and then only make aircrew wings for enlisted men as their only other wing type made.

You are right Bob, I said that wrong. By original, I don't mean not a good wing, I mean that it seems like it went through an extraneous manufacturing process somewhere along the way where some things were "added". Thank you for making me clarify Bob.