Removing Lint, Pills, Snags etc from UNIFORMS

RTFREY

post-3702-1221676940.jpg

A tip for my fellow collectors.

For years I've used one of these little tools to remove pills, lints, burrs, etc from uniforms. These tend to make uniforms look a bit shabby and unkempt.

I used one today to clean up a US M-1951 Jacket, and a Vietnam Marine Ike Jacket I put on Ebay.

This little tool will amaze you, and make a world of difference in the appearance of your uniforms.

The item I use is called variously, a pill shaver, lint buster, clothes shaver etc.

It is a very small tool that has a rotary shaving head under a perforated cap with 3 small blades that spin when the power is applied. A small, clear removable container is below that catches the shaved particals and is emptied as needed.

Since only the lint, burrs etc that are sticking up or out enter the machine it is quite safe and unobtrusive. THIS DOES NOT HARM THE UNDERLYING MATERIAL!

The one I use is powered by one "C" cell battery but others use different size batteries, or even AC power.

They are available in most drug stores, Walmart, Target etc. and may be in the area where sewing supplis are sold.

Most are in the $10.00 range more or less for a battery model.

If you are reluctant, try it on one of your less favorite pieces that has these problems and see what it does. Or one of your civies.

It also works well on wool sweaters, suits, etc.

After 50+ years of collecting I like sharing a liitle knowledge with my fellow forum members.

LET ME KNOW HOW IT WORKS.

regards,

Bob Frey

I've used a regular safety razor. Any old gillette three trak or travel razor. Does the same thing but quicker.

post-3702-1221677716.jpg

LET ME KNOW HOW IT WORKS.

regards,

Bob Frey

I've used a regular safety razor. Any old gillette three trak or travel razor. Does the same thing but quicker.

The electric pill shavers can cover large areas quickly without having to worry about snagging anything and tearing the fabric. This is important on things like flight jackets with synthetic linings that can end up with the entire lining covered with pills. However, I have broken two of the electrics: what happened was the guard over the blades (the shiny part with the holes in it) got pushed in, hit the blade and tore open (it's very thin metal). That made the unit useless. I've tried to learn to have a more gentle touch, and these really do work great otherwise.