Some Vietnam War era F-5 Fighter related patches?

Patchcollector

Patchcollector

Hi all,

I'm hoping that some of our Forums' Air Force pros can tell me what I have here.I acquired some patches that I believe may have been part of a group.There were four patches available and I got three of the four.

There are a few interesting things to note about these pieces;I believe that they are Japanese made,and I may be wrong but I think that all of them except the "Missions" patch may be F-5 related.

The "Snake and Nape" piece has "Tchepone" written on it,which would indicate Laotian missions,and the Aircraft depicted on it looks like an F-5 IMO.

The "Laotian Highway Patrol" patch(which is the patch that I was'nt able to get) also has what looks like,to me anyway,an F-5 on it.

The "F-5 Fighter Weapons School Graduate" is self explanatory.

I'm wondering if these patches may have belonged to someone that was involved with F-5 Aircraft during the War?

Here is some info I found on Wiki that documents the USAF use of the F-5 Fighter during the Vietnam War.I highlighted the part that mentioned them being used on missions in Laos:

In October 1965, the USAF began a five-month combat evaluation of the F-5A titled Skoshi Tiger. A total of 12 aircraft were delivered for trials to the 4503rd Tactical Fighter Squadron, and after modification with probe and drogue aerial refueling equipment, armor and improved instruments, were redesignated as the F-5C.Over the next six months, they performed combat duty in Vietnam, flying more than 2,600 sorties, both from the 3rd Tactical Fighter Wing at Bien Hoa over South Vietnam and from Da Nang Air Base where operations were flown over Laos. Nine aircraft were lost in Vietnam, seven to enemy ground fire and two to operational causes.

Sellers pics.

Patchcollector

First up is the "Snake and Nape" piece.To me the Aircraft resembles an F-5 and has some odd colors on it.It appears to be Japanese made.

post-13386-0-61115800-1468540732.jpg

Patchcollector

Second is the "Laotian Highway Patrol".As I stated earlier,I didn't get this patch but it was part of the "group" offered.Like the "Snake and Nape" patch,IMO the plane resembles an F-5.It is Japanese made,and is an "Ace Novelty" piece.

post-13386-0-04580100-1468541168.jpg

Patchcollector

Third is the "F-5 Fighter Weapons School Graduate" patch.I know that after the war the F-5 was used in an "Adversary" role but I believe that this patch may predate that,and may come from the time frame when the F-5 was being evaluated for a possible wartime role.It looks to be Asian made,maybe Okinawa?

post-13386-0-30591200-1468541265.jpg

Patchcollector

Last is the "Missions" patch,which is obviously an F-4 related piece.I'm including it here just because it was part of the "group" offered.
It is Japanese made,and like the "Laotian Highway Patrol"patch,is an "Ace Novelty" piece.

post-13386-0-15270700-1468541379.jpg

A probable explanation of the the expression YGBSM

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=YGBSM

On your Laotian Highway Patrol patch, I think it is more likely that is supposed to be an F-4.

For some reason, it is hard to find information about USAF F-5 missions over Laos. There is some brief information on this site:

http://www.the-northrop-f-5-enthusiast-page.info/AirForces/USAFVietnamOperations.html

These Tchepone and LHP patches are unique the 480 TFS. FF pretty much summed up the Tchepone one. Different LHP patches were used by many units, denoting missions over the Ho Chi Minh Trail which ran thru Laos. The F-4 Ace patch would have the mission number filled in by the pilot after his tour was over on the blank side. Your F-5 patch is Taiwan made, and used by the 425 TFTS at Williams AFB in the early 80s. That was the training center for foreign and US F-5 pilots. I have other examples if interested, LMK if you want them posted.

Randy

• 2 months later...
Patchcollector

I have other examples if interested, LMK if you want them posted.

Sure,I would enjoy seeing them.I have seen plenty of Thai made examples of the Laotian Highway Patrol,Missions,and Tchepone "Snake and Nape" ones,but these Japanese ones I posted here from my collection are the first I've seen so I think they are some hard to find variations.

Sure,I would enjoy seeing them.I have seen plenty of Thai made examples of the Laotian Highway Patrol,Missions,and Tchepone "Snake and Nape" ones,but these Japanese ones I posted here from my collection are the first I've seen so I think they are some hard to find variations.

Yep, the 480th ones are harder to find. Here's a few Thai made variations. The F-100 was used at least by the 352 TFS as was the yellow/blue LHP. The other is unit unknown but refers to a geographical location in Laos named for its resemblance to a dog's head.

Randy

post-8832-0-79891700-1475071983.jpg

post-8832-0-20225700-1475071999.jpg

FF, with the yellow in the national insignia, this was actually used by the VNAF. They flew the F-5, and a few were captured after the fall of South Vietnam and used for a while after.

Randy

FF, with the yellow in the national insignia, this was actually used by the VNAF. They flew the F-5, and a few were captured after the fall of South Vietnam and used for a while after.

Randy

Yes. Patch is for the South Vietnam AF.I should have mentioned that.I always like the F-5.At Clark the 26th Aggressor Sq flew them in the Soviet camo scheme.

I would guess the Laos patch with the YGBSM was from a Weasel 105 guy as that was their favorite expression. May have been a F4 Weasel but they got there late so maybe not. Nice patches/ The FWS F5 Patch would be post war.

I would guess the Laos patch with the YGBSM was from a Weasel 105 guy as that was their favorite expression. May have been a F4 Weasel but they got there late so maybe not. Nice patches/ The FWS F5 Patch would be post war.

No, the YGBSM patch is unit specific to the 480 TFS out of Da Nang AB, RVN. The LHP one PC originally posted is also 480th, an F-4C/D unit. If you look at the YGBSM one you'll see dual afterburners. I have a set just like these direct from a former unit pilot. The YGBSM one was done to show displeasure with low-level bombing runs thru Tchepone, an area that was heavily defended. The F-5 is post war and was used at Williams AFB where the F-5 program was located.

Randy

Patchcollector

Just wanted to add a few thoughts.Sometimes the plane depictions on patches can be very accurate,sometimes,especially with the theatre made pieces,it can be difficult to determine what type of aircraft is shown,often because the patch maker had no idea what a particular plane is supposed to look like.I'm stating this because I would think it may be tough at times to nail down a unit on the basis of a rendition of an aircraft that may be inaccurate.

Also,a question;since the F-5 program started in the 60's,how to determine the date of an "F-5 Fighter Weapons School" piece?

Just wanted to add a few thoughts.Sometimes the plane depictions on patches can be very accurate,sometimes,especially with the theatre made pieces,it can be difficult to determine what type of aircraft is shown,often because the patch maker had no idea what a particular plane is supposed to look like.I'm stating this because I would think it may be tough at times to nail down a unit on the basis of a rendition of an aircraft that may be inaccurate.

Also,a question;since the F-5 program started in the 60's,how to determine the date of an "F-5 Fighter Weapons School" piece?

Very true on many patches. This one is made easier due to its known unit origins and timeframe. I've seen others where a jet looks like a Fokker. As for the F-5, there was a FWS course at Williams in the 70s into the early 80s. Most classes were done for foreign pilots, and it is my understanding it was not affiliated with the FWS program at Nellis. A similar situation existed at Luke with the F-104 program. There was some kind of dust-up over it and they were told to lose the Nellis like FWS markings and patches. Your particular patch was used at least in the early 80s, I have one just like it from an instructor there at that time. Here's one from the 70s for comparison.

Randy

post-8832-0-35179300-1475167161.jpg