29th Inf. 110th FA Set of Roger A. Hawk

jbassmaster18

jbassmaster18

My latest find and one of my top 3 favorite lids. Roger A. Hawk served in the 29th infantry division 110th field artillery. ( I am still doing research on him but based on the size and placement of the 29th markings I am thinking he was at Normandy. ) When he went home he mustered out with the 69th (as did a lot of 29th guys). Helmet and liner painted with the 29th insignia, helmet also has a late war 69th decal over the 29th. Also has his theater made knuckle knife and spike. All named to him. The helmet and knife were sold at Mr. Hawks estate auction. The knife and helmet were sold to different buyers. I was able to arrange a trade for the knife. The helmet and knife were reunited today in my display case.

post-67068-0-09869700-1468458652.png

USMC-RECON0321

Jonathan,

Wow love this whole set, but the knife set is a killer piece!! I seen this exact same style of a matched helmet set-up at last years SOS, a 29th painted liner and 69th decaled helmet shell. It must have been a common theme to keep some idenity to the 29th.

Congrats

Troy

• 1 month later...

I have had the opportunity to get in touch with Mr. Hawk's grandaughter. She has been very kind and sent me some pictures. In one he's even wearing this very helmet!

I'm am very happy to be able to put a face to these items!

Mr. Hawk after the transfer to the 69th. Can even see the top of the insignia above the goggles

post-125364-0-18416400-1472007786_thumb.jpeg

And what looks like after he was discharged

post-125364-0-82638200-1472007798_thumb.jpeg