tiger stripe vest from the movie "Platoon"

FNG

Found this via a thrift store in California. I'm fairly certain it was used in Platoon for the "tracks of my tears" scene in the bunker. The stripes and insignia match upon viewing the film. It's just a cheapo 1980's bdu style shirt but the insignia's look legit plus "Crawford" wore it. lol.

post-4928-0-75783400-1468438565.jpg

post-4928-0-23919200-1468438706.jpg

post-4928-0-39896100-1468438719.jpg

MilitaryPicker1941

Just watched the scene on YouTube and it definitely looks like a match! Here are a couple of screenshots I took

post-111785-0-46923500-1468439613.jpg

post-111785-0-77607700-1468439624.jpg

MilitaryPicker1941

Hard to see in the photos, but there is a red-stitch border around the 1st cav patch

FNG, you did check the pockets to make sure there were no long, hairy, red and black centipedes in them?

No extra "finds" in the pockets sadly.

Interestingly the shirt is a size small regular, making we wonder if all the actors were small sized as well.

FNG, you did check the pockets to make sure there were no long, hairy, red and black centipedes in them?

hahahaha :D

Le Garenne 78

Great movie !!!!

Its an awesome find, especially this jacket, very unique !!!!

Congrats.

vintageproductions

If it's from the movie there should be some sort of costume tag or stitches where the tag was. Usually in the neck.

Not unusual to see a piece like this that a fan made to look like the one worn in the movie.

There's no Hollywood tag in the collar but remember Platoon was a very low budget movie financed by a British company. What convinced me this is legit was watching the bluray in HD. Unfortunately I don't have screen cap for my player, but you can see the pattern matches exactly, especially around the 1st Cav patch. You can just make out the airborne mikeforce patch too.

post-4928-0-23255900-1468457681.jpg

Kinda hard for someone to find the EXACT same camo pattern in the same places on two different coats...I still like it alot!

I have a few film prop uniforms (SPR, BHD, BOB, Green Zone, etc.) and none have any "hollywood" tags. Although some of my SPR ones do, but found out later that ATF was actually putting the "hollywood" markings on them...not to make money (as they sold 'em dirt cheap)...but instead because of other reasons...

vintageproductions

All of the uniforms for Platoon were supplied by History For Hire in North Hollywood. This was their one and only forays into costuming. After Platoon, they went back to just being a prop house.

I was at the auction / sale they had after the uniforms were returned, and every piece had a costumer's tag / actors tag sewn into the neck. I bought one each of all the main characters, and in turn ran them all through a few major Hollywood auctions. I think I have maybe one or two left ( but would really have to dig to find them). All the character tags were marked with the actors name and a number written below.

I am thinking Bob maybe correct on this. If you look at the pattern on the collar, there seem to be differences. On yours, there is a black spot at the very tip that is not showing on the movie still. Right above it, the black pattern further up is also different.

Still a neat item.

If you unbutton the top couple of buttons and open up the collar like the still in the movie it may give a better side by side comparison. It looks close looking at the pattern just above the patch and to the left (towards the sleeve) of the patch. It may just be the same shirt. Nice find either way.

Bob

I am thinking Bob maybe correct on this. If you look at the pattern on the collar, there seem to be differences. On yours, there is a black spot at the very tip that is not showing on the movie still. Right above it, the black pattern further up is also different.

Still a neat item.

That is because the tip is not flat in the still, it is folded up. You can't match the pattern via the collar as he wears it folded up in a odd way. You can see this clearly in the bluray version of the movie.

vintageproductions

No matter what it is cool. Just like I have seen many people make Willard, Kilgore and Kurtz uniforms from Apocalypse Now.

Cool item, great piece from a great movie. If it's not the exact item worn in the movie and a fan made item I wouldn't think it would be too hard to match the cam considering the is a repeat on the bolts of fabric.

I think I have maybe one or two left ( but would really have to dig to find them). All the character tags were marked with the actors name and a number written below.

I, for one, would definitely like to see those!

IMHO the pattern design on the collar points doesn't match with the vest used for the movie. But it's still a niece piece.

If you look at the area not obstructed by the collar, the stripe pattern around the 25th Division patch also apears to match up exactly. I vote it is the same piece in the movie.