Vietnam helmet graffiti suggestions

AnDuc49

Hi guys, I'm making a tribute piece for a USMC veterans group.

The guy wants me to ad graffiti, but he said just do my own. I'm not that creative so I'm wondering if you guys have any suggestions?

Anything is good so long as it isn't cliché.

Thanks, N

Michael Herr mentions some of the things Marines wrote on their Helmets and uses these to distinguish them in his book Dispatches. For instance he mentions a Marine called "Day Tripper" and "Avenger" and "Love Child" as well as some others.

I'm sure you could even put locations on the helmet (in Vietnam or in the States that the troop called "home" or places he fought at)
You could probably also put some song lyrics on the side, or even some Bible quotes, nicknames, or a girlfriends' name.

Hope this helps.

-Dave

Michael Herr mentions some of the things Marines wrote on their Helmets and uses these to distinguish them in his book Dispatches. For instance he mentions a Marine called "Day Tripper" and "Avenger" and "Love Child" as well as some others.

I'm sure you could even put locations on the helmet (in Vietnam or in the States that the troop called "home" or places he fought at)

You could probably also put some song lyrics on the side, or even some Bible quotes, nicknames, or a girlfriends' name.

Hope this helps.

-Dave

Thanks Dave. I haven't read Dispatches, but it sounds great. If you can remember anything else he mentions that be great

I wonder what Day Tripper would've meant though

I wonder what Day Tripper would've meant though

If I am remembering this correctly the Marine with the Day Tripper graffiti didn't like to go on patrol or ambushes at night and tried to always go on daytime patrols to spare him from going on any night time action. Might have been due to some bad juju or a bad omen or something like that (or possibly not).

I'll try and flip through the book and try and see if I can find any more Graffiti names he mentions. But if you are thinking about picking up a copy, I highly recommend it, one of the best books I read about the War, and it provides a different point of view of the conflict.

Couple of photos by David Duncan Douglas

Marine Lcpl Ernest Delgado at Khe Sahn..."CAN YOU DIG IT" Blood Type and calander on cover,CALIFORNIA across front

post-342-0-93594000-1468363357.jpg

Marine at Con Thien

post-342-0-08277300-1468363472.jpg

Day Tripper and Love Child are both songs of the 60's . I have seen names and or lyrics from songs that the soldier liked on helmets. Kinda like this patch from the song "War" what is it good for, absolutely nothing !! There is even the band and ace card and little abbreviations on this patch.

Regards, Mitch

post-592-0-34846700-1468364969.jpg

States,home towns,girl friends,nick names,slang,bands,song titles or lyrics from popular songs,anti war slang were common.Just about anything from the era would be seen

On both sides of my helmet were the words Type OP in big letters, on the back I had FUBAR Const. Co. The front, my wife's first name.

DS

RVN 65-66, Support Co, 3rd Engrs 3rd MarDiv., C Co. 7th Engrs. 1st MarDiv.