Pre 1904 Enlisted Dress Hat EGA Die Variation

usmcaviator

usmcaviator

This Corps Device drew my eye the other day on the internet and I was pleased no one else saw it for what it is. It now has been absorbed into the Manifor holdings. It is a unique die variant that most likely pre-dates 1904, as there is no service equivalent of this device known. The wing difference is most noticeable from the other versions, which were first made in 1898 with the screw post. Briuer will cover this one in Vol 1 of his book "United States Marine Corps Emblems 1804 to World War I".

post-1315-0-31566700-1468259916.jpgpost-1315-0-12369500-1468259922.jpg

I agree it was overlooked. I actually did see it for what it is...I am just presently not in the buying market due to another purchase. Wings stuck out to me right away, it's a very neat variant. You got it at a pretty good price, too

usmcaviator

I agree it was overlooked. I actually did see it for what it is...I am just presently not in the buying market due to another purchase. Wings stuck out to me right away, it's a very neat variant. You got it at a pretty good price, too

Lucky for me that $49 kept you out of the market! Well worth it for an 1898-1904 variant of which only a few are known to exist.

Mike

Lucky for me that $49 kept you out of the market! Well worth it for an 1898-1904 variant of which only a few are known to exist.

Mike

Thought it went double that, which still would have been a deal. I'd wager you bid very high and I would have just driven it up

teufelhunde.ret

Fine example you have there. These pics show variations in fasteners and thickness. Dozens of other enlisted cover examples from the 1890s era can be found on Tim Klie's 352 page book USMC "eagle, globe and anchor emblem 1868-1963" it contains thousands of color pics! AND the only book endorsed by Colonel John Driscoll!

If you want to purchase the book, contact Tim for an author copy at [email protected]

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
usmcaviator

Mike,

Did you also get the one that sold last week with the BIN?

S/F,

Chuck

Chuck,

No. I didnt see it. Was it exactly like the one above?

Mike

Chuck,

No. I didnt see it. Was it exactly like the one above?

Mike

Mike,

It was exactly as yours, but has the looped prongs as pictured (on right) by Darrell above. It was part of a large lot of EGA's on consignment, and being sold by ebay seller goldcatcasey.

S/F,

Chuck

usmcaviator

Mike,

It was exactly as yours, but has the looped prongs as pictured (on right) by Darrell above. It was part of a large lot of EGA's on consignment, and being sold by ebay seller goldcatcasey.

S/F,

Chuck

Interesting....I have seen that seller's postings since they started listing, and even searched the sold items, but I didn't see this variation anywhere. If you are referring to the reproduction all silver one that looks to have sold for $300, that isn't this variant.

Mike

Mike, I think this is the first Horstmann post variety in the 1899 time period. Once I find the other Louisiana purchase photos we should have a good 1904 dated documented EGA.