101st Airborne Division Bastogne Captured German Tiger Tank Optics

warpath

WWII German tank binoculars recovered from a Tiger Tank outside the town of Marvie near Bastogne by Cpl. Frank Carpenter C Co. 2d Platoon 501st Parachute Infantry Regiment 101st Airborne Division during the Battle of the Bulge fighting in 1944...Donated by Sgt. Eugene Madison C Co. 1st Platoon 501st PIR...Sgt. Madison stated that he thought it was a Tiger tank that was knocked out, but from my research I believe it may have been a Mark V Panther tank.

post-3653-0-73574100-1468251461.jpeg

post-3653-0-43253700-1468251510.jpeg

Ed: I don't think this is a "tiger" part. Just like the fabled "88" artillery soldiers remember most German Armor today as "Tigers". If I recall correctly the Germans used their Tigers South of Bastogne to spear head their drive towards St. Vith. It was actually M8 armored cars that first engaged the fearsome Mk II tigers when they broke the lines. As to the Bastogne action and the armor faced by the 101st, (especially the 501st), the vehicles they faced were Mk IV Pzkpfw, Stug III and IV, Panther Ausf. G, and lighter support vehicles.

This piece may have been liberated after the Christmas day assault on the 501st. 15 German tanks of the types listed above assaulted American positions. They were beaten back with help from M18 Hellcat TDs, and a Mk IV was actually captured in running condition. Paratroops gleefully drove it around the sector to boost morale.

The Germans continued to loose armor due to halfhearted probes for the duration of the action, so who can say for sure.

Mr. Madison recounted his Bastogne story along with his personal Airborne history. Since he was actually there this is his momento and he held it in very high regard. He did say it was in a huge knocked out tank, his words not mine, and was removed by the man he got it from. I'm not a Bastogne battle researcher, but there are likely photos of the German vehicles knocked out near Marvie. That would narrow the field, but for now it remains a very interesting artifact from a man who "was there". Hopefully a reader may be familiar with that part of the fight and may have details or photos of the vehicles. I certainly wish I had more to offer here.

Hi,

Marvie? Hum... I live in Marvie!

Beautiful piece!

Stef

Stef, by any chance do you have a source for photos of the German tanks and armor at Marvie? We may never know exactly which one this came from, but there's always a chance to narrow the choices. Thanks. Ed

I bet if you posted this in the tank section of the WAF those german tank guys would know which type of tank this came out of, extremely cool bring back!!....mike

WWII German tank binoculars recovered from a Tiger Tank outside the town of Marvie near Bastogne by Cpl. Frank Carpenter C Co. 2d Platoon 501st Parachute Infantry Regiment 101st Airborne Division during the Battle of the Bulge fighting in 1944...Donated by Sgt. Eugene Madison C Co. 1st Platoon 501st PIR...Sgt. Madison stated that he thought it was a Tiger tank that was knocked out, but from my research I believe it may have been a Mark V Panther tank.

amazing piece..

what do you mean by "donated" ?

-Brian

The 501st PIR, specifically Company I, encountered the Tiger II at Wardin. You are right though...I'm sure a "German tank geek" could ID that part in a heart beat

manayunkman

Those are flak binoculars not for tanks.

They attached to the 4 meter range finder.

They are hard to find.

Agreed with manayunkman, these binoculars have nothing to do with German Armored Vehicles.

The binoculars were used by German anti-aircraft batteries for spotting aircraft in WWII, the Flak Binoculars had a very wide field of view and the lenses are inclined at 45 degrees for easy viewing.

post-161992-0-25401500-1468325816.jpg

CDub

This is another good example of GI military lore. The veteran always referred to the optic as from a tank, most likely because that is what his friend told him. Big souvenir to haul around too. Doesn't matter in the end I suppose, it was just his tale to tell.

Then again this may have been the Tiger tank commander's personal binoculars! Bigger tank-bigger binoculars, although it now lacks the neck strap which I'm certain was cut off him after a prolonged hand to hand fight on top of his tank turret.

We need a thread on Battle of the Bulge war souvenir stories. For over 40 years damn near every veteran I've met who was there has shown, sold or recounted how their personal war relic, usually a Hitler Youth knife, was taken in a hand to hand fight with a SS Colonel. These tales are commonly repeated by their sons, nephews, grandsons who inherited both the souvenirs and the war stories. If any of these stories had any merit then the German Army at the Bulge was severely top heavy with SS Colonels carrying every imaginable war souvenir in combat. It's amazing how many "officers" apparently carried HJ knives in combat. Or it could be most GIs just loved to embellish their stories a bit.

Hello,

I must look in my documentation for pictures.
There was a Panzer MKIV that was destroyed in the south-east of the village, perhaps it could come from there.
Stef

Proud Kraut