My first pieces of modern field equipment!

mikie

I saw these Molle II grenade pouches at the surplus store going out of business sale and thought they were really cool. I found one of each of three cammo patterns. Since I know little to nothing about modern equipment, please share any info about these. Thanks!

Mikie

post-2687-0-63393700-1468134054.jpg

post-2687-0-56639300-1468134084.jpg

Here are the tags. These looked like they are gov't issue from the NSN #, but I really don't have a clue for sure. Is the SPO # the contract info? How do I read these?

Thanks for any enlightenment!

Mikie

post-2687-0-05461500-1468134610.jpg

Definitely GI. They were issued as components of the MOLLE basic infantry kit. Of the three, the DCU one is probably rarest as the DCU MOLLE was only issued for 2 or 3 years. I also used the pouch to carry a compass and strobe. I still use mine to carry my compass when hiking.

Peter

Nice finds. Keep an eye out for a Coyote Brown one to complete the collection. USMC used those for a brief period.

00820_lg.jpg

Thanks for all the info. Pickings at the store are getting thin, but since it will be gone after Friday, I figured I'd grab whatever I could that looked interesting. Them find out about it later. Since both my budget and space are limited, these seemed perfect grabs. I already put a small emergency light in one of them. I noticed that the belt loop snaps are really hard to close on all 3. Is this typical of this equipment?

milsurp_scout_14

The belt loop snaps can be a little tough, unless you have something in the pouch to press against. The Coyote Brown versions are very easy to find online right now; I'm guessing they surplused them all recently. I have all 4 versions, plus a woodland one labeled R.A.C.K. grenade pouch (Army ranger issue briefly). There's also many versions labeled 'Handgrenade Pocket, Style 4130, Specialty Defense Systems' with their phone # and website. Not sure if these versions are contract or not. I absolutely love these little pouches- I've made lots of survival kits, used them as small carry pouches, etc.

And don't forget about the multicam camo version (in pic). There's few true surplus versions of those on the market, and they all seem to be $12 for some reason. Which is why I don't have one yet.

Ohhh, a surplus store closing sale...fond memories of a few of those!

post-153911-0-95567900-1468389945.jpg

Yes, I agree, these things are just plain cool. I love stuff that I can actually use. I did see some with marking without any contract or govt part numbers like mentioned above, but guessed they were commercial. The closing sale would be great, except that this is the last of the true Army/Navy type stores in the area. There are two others, but they have mostly gone over into commercial camping kind of stuff. I'm taking a long lunch of Friday and will head down to grab whatever I can. At 6:00 PM, it's gone for good.

Mikie

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

In modern collecting the lines between commercial and issued are really blurred, lots of soldiers use commercial items, they might even be issued them, without spending their own money on them.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I managed to grab one of the brown ones. The label inside the flap was marked about the same as the others so I didn't take a pic. Neat little collection! Thanks for all the comments.

Mikie

post-2687-0-35185600-1470669640.jpg