I have seen several in plastic but painted.

Maybe this one just never got a coat of paint?

In Memoriam:
Lieutenant J.Kostelec 1-3 First Special Service Force MIA/PD 4 March 1944 Italy
I HAVE SEEN THE ENEMY AND IT IS DAYLIGHT
Forget about the tips..We'll get hell to pay (AC/DC)
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Have you Hugged a Clown Today?

You Cant Get A Sun Tan On The Moon..

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

This is an interesting pin. No doubt original. I can't recall ever seeing one made of this material. I do know that uniform buttons were made during the war of some vegetable material and have the look of plastic. This might have been made before the war ended when brass was still rationed. However, years ago while scrounging in the basement of an Army and Navy store that was closing, I found several thousand of these pins made of sterling silver and gold plated. It would certainly have been more economical to make them of some base metal. Sterling jewelry was fairly cheap in those days so maybe the ones I found were made for people who just wanted something a little flashy.

• 1 year later...

I just saw this post. What a great find! I've never seen its likes before. Thank you for posting it!!

Best wishes,

Joe

Don't trick another, and don't get tricked. Don't show your weaknesses, but your spirit.

Member of OMSA 7250 and ASMIC 4552

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

donation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif