USMC Marine Raiders dagger

jdsco

I have had this dagger in my possession since 1994. It belongs to my father, now passed, as he was a USMC Naval Aviator 1943 South Pacific and Korean War. I was informed that it is a Fairbairn Sykes dagger.

I believe now that this is a USMC Marine Raiders dagger, a fighting knife with its original design from the Fairbairn Sykes.

I, for the longest time, assumed this was of no significance (in fact I assumed this dagger had no correlation to the USMC) and haven't paid any attention to it until last year. I thank God I didn't give it away.

His COLT 1911A1 is a 933xxx serial number manufactured in 1943. His M1 Carbine is a 266 serial number manufactured 1943. These items and several more are pictured in my profile pic, that's my Dad. I have everything I can identify in that pic. Unfortuantely, I do not recognize this dagger in that pic.

This dagger and scabbard have no markings, whatsoever.

I have read that some "issued" weapons were emergency manufactured, for the war effort without red-tape, with no markings.

This dagger has been resharpened indeed and I would assume that the tip has been worn from resharpening or broken off at some time.

Is this dagger considered rare?

I'm interested in knowing when it would have been issued to my father?

Thank you for your consideration.

post-163067-0-25041600-1468093400.jpg

Yes the etching routinely disappears with use and time. Yes it's re-tiped. The original zinc handle looks to be in exceptionally good condition. You can find lots of threads hear on this forum which may answer your questions, or generate more.

Glad you still have your Dad's stuff.

Made by Camillus. Might have had etching on blade. Handle looks pretty good. That metal usually falls apart over the years.

It is a Raiders stiletto.These were not a part of the FS/Commando knife Family of Common wealth fame other than a bit of the design influance of the FS.

The knife has been shortened which is common as the tips were very pointed and would be broken/blunted or retipped.

Speaking with a few dozen vets over the years its possible your father may have traded or picked it up along the way.many of the Raiders preffered a heavier or more functional knife and would trade or find a better all around utility knife.i personally knew a Para Marine who had a Raider knife and he stated he traded a Kabar for it.Just a guess on my part as generally these were not general issue knives but tend to filter into the hands of varoius veterans.

As far as rare they are available and price can be based on several factors as condition or its history.They are collectible but not really rare.

Being a Marine and Naval aviation enthusiast I find this knife quite interesting so I have a few additional questions and comments.

Without knowing the history the knife and scabbard have character but since it has been extremely altered value would be low. The Marine Stiletto is a desirable knife but condition always plays a role.

With the provenance being your fathers that drastically increases its value and in my opinion being an aviation connection would probably increase it a bit more. What would be the cherry on the cake is if he is wearing that knife in the profile pic or any other images you may have. It would be nice if you could post that picture in the thread and any others wearing equipment.

What unit was he in? VMF? VMSB? Pilot, gunner or ground crew?

Speaking with a few dozen vets over the years its possible your father may have traded or picked it up along the way.many of the Raiders preffered a heavier or more functional knife and would trade or find a better all around utility knife.i personally knew a Para Marine who had a Raider knife and he stated he traded a Kabar for it.Just a guess on my part as generally these were not general issue knives but tend to filter into the hands of varoius veterans.

Stilletto is correct, I am in error using "dagger".

I have not discovered "who" in particular was issued this stilletto but I have learned that pilots were indeed among the recipients and if a pilot had to "ditch" in unfriendly territory, he would rather have this stilletto and a survival knife in some cases.

I have his Cattaraugus 225Q that some call a crate-opener.

His fixed wing assignments were TBM-TBF torpedoe bomber, F4U4 Corsair, F4 F6 and F8 Grumman series. His logbook indicates water and ground attack missions.

I wish I knew how he came into possession of it.

Thank you for your input.

post-163067-0-14672600-1468108450.jpg

Being a Marine and Naval aviation enthusiast I find this knife quite interesting so I have a few additional questions and comments.

Without knowing the history the knife and scabbard have character but since it has been extremely altered value would be low. The Marine Stiletto is a desirable knife but condition always plays a role.

With the provenance being your fathers that drastically increases its value and in my opinion being an aviation connection would probably increase it a bit more. What would be the cherry on the cake is if he is wearing that knife in the profile pic or any other images you may have. It would be nice if you could post that picture in the thread and any others wearing equipment.

What unit was he in? VMF? VMSB? Pilot, gunner or ground crew?

I have few pictures of my Dad during WWII relative to his Korean War service. I have this picture of him in 1943 or 1944 and he appears to have a knife (or) m1carbine bayonet in his mouth. I have all of the other pieces he is wearing especially the 1911A1. The scabbard he has on his belt might be the scabbard for the bayonet but I don't think it's the stilletto.

I have been told

Being a new forum member, I'm having difficulty posting and uploading properly. Some portions of these posts are repeated

I have few pictures of my Dad during WWII relative to his Korean War service. I have this picture of him in 1943 or 1944 and he appears to have a knife (or) m1carbine bayonet in his mouth. I have all of the other pieces he is wearing especially the 1911A1. The scabbard he has on his belt might be the scabbard for the bayonet but I don't think it's the stilletto.

I have been told that he doesn't look like a pilot. I don't know what a 21 year old Naval Aviator, away from home and overseas at an airbase is supposed to look like.

I've searched the web looking for pic's of soldiers of this era wearing a FS or this stilletto so I can learn what to look for. I haven't discovered this stilletto/scabbard as of yet.

My Father was a USMC pilot, first of seven for HMX-1 that I believe to be "Helicopter Marine Experimental" assigned to VMO-6 that I believe to be a forward observation squadron with MASH evac op's.

I have my Dad's Cattaraugus 225Q and it has the same stitch repair on it's scabbard as the stilletto scabbbard does. I do have a Korean War Picture of my Dad wearing the Catt. This is what he described to me as a "hot load" meaning bird is powered-flight ready.

That is the Catt he's wearing on his left side. It is not, however, the first selfie!

I greatly appreciate any and all input and I thank you for your consideration.

post-163067-0-30577300-1468110422.jpg

Those are great pictures.

You can see the holster for the 45 on his roght side jus visible.Appears he also wears a shoulder holster with a pistol in a water proof cover.

The scabbard on the belt reminds me of a scabbard for the M1918 trench knife.In the photo he has his right hand raised and I winder if there is another knife in his right hand that we cant see

Those are great pictures.

You can see the holster for the 45 on his roght side jus visible.Appears he also wears a shoulder holster with a pistol in a water proof cover.

That's interesting.

I've studied this picture and knowing that there is some discoloration, I never identified his left side item.

He did indeed have a S&W 38 revolver and he did say that the 38 was US Navy issue but I do not know when it would have been.

I do remember a narrow-strap shoulder holster when I was a kid but I don't know if it was for that 38.

I'm pleased that I joined this forum.

Thank you for that observation.

I was wondering what he has in his right hand?

I have pondered that for decades. I wish I knew.

Some have asked what the object is above the helmet and that object is a windsock.

Someone suggested that the scabbard is the stilletto scabbard worn facing inward. I can't confirm that.

The 45 mag pouch has 1943 stamped on the back of the pouch above the snap.

How did he manage to keep his carbine ? Pretty unusual IMO .

I wish I knew, truly.

That picture shows a m1 carbine.

I have his m1 carbine.

That carbine serial number is 266XXX indicating 1943.

I don't know.

Jim,

Very Interesting post. Just like the WWII Vets, the Korean War veterans are going quickly. There will probably be some at the Pop-A-Smoke Reunion in Jacksonville, FL this August.

Thanks for posting the early Helicopter Photos and keep them coming.

Semper Fly,

John