Two Inch AAF Wings - when authorized?

Hmm, I can't seem to edit the title/subject line - should read "when" not "whan"

Hi all,

I often see reference to three sizes of AAF wings - 3" (e.g., for coat), 2" (for shirt), and smaller e.g., 1 1/2" to 1 3/8" (e.g., for cap or sweet heart wings). Most of the time they are stated without any dates connected to their authorization and/or wear.

I have found one reference (Emerson Insignia) that speaks to when the 2" were authorized - found in Changes 1 dtd 29 July 1944 AR 600-35.

Any one have more information or can verify the Emerson reference? Perhaps the 2" wings were already being worn, but not officially sanctioned until July 1944 or ...?

Thanks, Jeff

5thwingmarty

I can confirm that Change 1 to AR 600-35 dated 29 July 1944 was where the Army Uniforms regulation first clearly said the 2" wings were authorized for the wings listed, but the wings had been in production and use well before this. The use of the 2" wings might have been authorized in an earlier Circular but I don't have copies of any of those. I do know the 2" Flight Nurse wing was added to the women's uniform reg 600-37 in its Change 1 dated December 15, 1943.

My mother has her brother's aerial gunner wings that were sent back after he was KIA April 2, 1944. He went overseas I believe in February of 1944. He had one 3" wing and two 2" wings that were sent to the family.

Marty

5thwingmarty

One more bit to add. I think the Army may have first officially announced the authorization of wearing the 2" wings in a Circular dated 3 Jun 1944. I did recently get a copy of a document from the Personnel Division G-1 concerning Aviation Badges dated October 22, 1942. This document noted that the badges for Bombardier, Navigator, Liaison Pilot, Glider Pilot and Service Pilot had been approved by A-1 of the Air Staff, and the included drawings of the badges indicated full size wings were 3" and the miniature ones were 2". Marty