Can you ID this MP badge? - U.S. Army, Berlin 1980s

oakleaf777

oakleaf777

Can anyone identify the badges being worn by these soldiers? It doesn't seem to be the same shape as the standard Army MP badge. Sorry I cant get a better close up of the picture.

post-160238-0-06163500-1468007258.jpg

the 1st guy standing in the back left looks like he has a revolver in th holster. Not sure it is military at all.

Rakkasan187

These are Military Police assigned to the 287th MPs in Berlin. They are assigned to the BASC (Berlin Air Safety Center) and this was one of the few locations in West Berlin where the Soviets had access, since it was an occupied city. The Flags you see in the background are of the 4 occupy powers, United States, Soviet Union, Great Britain and France.

The pocket badge you see is that of the BASC and the MP badge is the standard issue Army MP badge. This picture is circa early 1980's.

Leigh

Rakkasan187

Here is another picture showing the MP badge and the BASC pocket badge on this MP

Leigh

post-5554-0-98776600-1468016503.jpg

Rakkasan187

There were guidelines where revolvers were to be carried vs .45 pistols, this Headquarters was one of the areas. Also at this time female Miltary Policewomen were issued and carried .38 revolvers..

As an infantryman stationed in Berlin when I guarded the American Headquarters in Berlin which housed the US Commander of Berlin and the Ambassador, as the Sergeant of the Guard I carried a .45 pistol and my sentries carried M16 rifles..

Leigh

Rakkasan187

Ya never stop learning! What infantry unit were you in when you were in Berlin?

B Company 6th Battalion 502nd Infantry Regiment..

A lot of famous names came from Berlin during this time..

A then little known Lt. by the name of Michael Steele was a platoon leader in the Brigade. He later went on to command the Rangers in Somalia during the Gothic Serpent Operation..

My Company Commander Jeffery Bailey went on to be Commanding General of First Army Division East at Ft Meade, Maryland.

Several of the men I work with at the Sergeants Major Academy were Command Sergeant's Major in Berlin

One of the best assignments an Infantryman could have in Germany during the Cold War.

Leigh

oakleaf777

Thanks for the replies. The soldiers in the photo are most definitely US Army Berlin in the 1980s.

Although you can't see much detail, the badges worn on the soldiers' left side are definitely NOT the standard Army MP badge, which has a very distinctive and unique shape. I'm interested in knowing if US Army MPs stationed in Berlin in the 1980s had special badges?