Early Bird

Brig

Bought a small assortment of USMC insignia, 1940s-early 60s. Mostly typical WWII EM devices, but these two were mixed in when it arrived. One on the left is very interesting, and likely dates to WWI or prior, when screwposts were first starting to appear on officer collar devices. Notice the continents, eagle and glove are one piece and not separately attached. Well detailed, I wish I knew the maker. The screwpost is cut down and is flush with the edge of the roller when it's on, and interestingly the screwpost is hollow. The anchor and post are sunken in, but luckily intact, noticed the integral stabilizing pins to the device itself. We often see these stabilizing circles on Ellis rollers, but this is the first time I've seen it integrated into the device itself. Neat early piece, gotta love those little surprises that pop up

100_9987.JPG

100_9988.JPG

normaninvasion

Great find, figures you found them in a mix!

That pattern looks familiar but have never seen a post like that. Looks like it would fit with the early Meyers/Gemsco cover emblem?

Great find, figures you found them in a mix!

That pattern looks familiar but have never seen a post like that. Looks like it would fit with the early Meyers/Gemsco cover emblem?

Looks like a variant of it, but I don't think it's a Gemsco, they seemed to stick with the basic pattern

I've seen many photos of the year of officers wearing EGA's with a wing the appears to be bent, much as this one appeared to be bent in the dark images of the auction... but we can see it's not bent down, but meant to look this way. I think this emblem may have been more popular than collectors would think. Not a common one to find, but I have seen it in images, I think, several times

teufelhunde.ret

Are the stabilizing pins part of the nut? Can't tell from the pic, can you shoot back without the nut?

Are the stabilizing pins part of the nut? Can't tell from the pic, can you shoot back without the nut?

Darryl, that's what makes it so interesting...that pic IS without the nut, they disk/pins are integral to the post itself! The nut is above it in the first pic

teufelhunde.ret

Interesting to say the least, Nice example you have there. Other types of fasteners of enlisted and officer examples from all eras can be found in Tim Klie's 352 page book USMC "eagle, globe and anchor emblem 1868-1963" it contains thousands of color pics! AND the only book endorsed by Colonel John Driscoll!

If you want to purchase the book, contact Tim for an author copy at [email protected]

image.jpeg

image.jpeg