taking photos of your helmets

1972firebird

1972firebird

Hey guys, I was scrolling through a post, and this may be a stupid question, but whats the best way to take a photo of my helmets while keeping all the details visible? Ive had no luck and like the look of just a white background. Thanks for any help, and im sorry if this is already a topic i couldnt find any.

jkash23686

Quality and how close you can get will depend on your camera. I just use two photo lights that were 60 bucks and a white sheet of paper thats large taped to the wall and table with no fold. Bam instant white backdrop.

Quality and how close you can get will depend on your camera. I just use two photo lights that were 60 bucks and a white sheet of paper thats large taped to the wall and table with no fold. Bam instant white backdrop.

X2, I just tape a large poster board to a wall and table and snap some pictures. If not, I just put it on a helmet stand against my tan wall, which doesnt look half bad either.

manayunkman

If you use a white background you need to make sure there is the right amount of light.

Not enough light and the helmet will come out dark.

stealthytyler

Photography can really make or break a sale. Next time I shoot, I will do a behind the scenes and share with everyone. Good lighting does not need to be expensive at all.

Burning Hazard

Indoor photography is a bit too complex for me. I just take all my stuff outside and shoot in the natural daylight with an iphone camera, then edit/crop the photos using MS paint. Works great each time.

I place the helmet on a wooden vertical paper towel holder. I take the picture on top of my stove with the stove light on. Works for me.

Indoor photography is a bit too complex for me. I just take all my stuff outside and shoot in the natural daylight with an iphone camera, then edit/crop the photos using MS paint. Works great each time.

this will work better than indoors every time.

if you want a white background build a small lightbox and set it anywhere outside.

http://www.wikihow.com/Create-an-Inexpensive-Photography-Lightbox

obviously can be used indoors as well as shown in the link.

-Brian

stealthytyler

Indoor lighting is best for those that have a good understanding of lighting and photography. If you are not familiar with lighting techniques, a simple white poster board bent into a half pipe ramp with a white silk or bed sheet over the top used as diffusion will work. If this is still too complex for you, shoot in the shade on a white surface... nice even lighting with the least amount of items used.

Hi,

I would obtain a book about studio photography.

If you have some money left spend it on 2 flashes (right/ left light setting).

A table can be very quickly improvised!!

Studio equipment is affordable now.

And off you go taking professional pictures.

Regards, Martin

Don`t forget to take pictures in RAW file format. It offers many possibilities to change and post product your pictures.

stealthytyler

Don`t forget to take pictures in RAW file format. It offers many possibilities to change and post product your pictures.

And don't forget to photoshop a 29th insignia on the front of the lid!!!

when I take photos outside I usually take them in the shade or backyard area, too much light causes it to look washed out or too hot

I like to use burlap sacks as a background, because it doesnt reflect light or make the photo look faded.

as others have said before. a 99 cent piece of white poster board will do the trick.I dont have a un-cropped helmet picture but heres this which is the same idea. I usually crop mine rather than movie all over the place trying to get only white in the background. also use the matte side not the shiny side, makes for cleaner pictures.

post-125364-0-55303000-1468029220.jpgpost-125364-0-33614700-1468029224.jpg

1972firebird

Thanks for the help guys! I think maybe tomorrow if I get time I will get a white poster board and try both indoor and outdoor photos

stealthytyler

Thanks for the help guys! I think maybe tomorrow if I get time I will get a white poster board and try both indoor and outdoor photos

Cant go wrong with that! Shoot some pics in the shade and then play around with a white silk or white bed sheet over the top of the set to diffuse the sun for a nice soft light. A white trash bag might even render good results too...anything that will diffuse the sun.

Cant go wrong with that! Shoot some pics in the shade and then play around with a white silk or white bed sheet over the top of the set to diffuse the sun for a nice soft light. A white trash bag might even render good results too...anything that will diffuse the sun.

I've taken old lamps without shades and thrown white t-shirts over the top before lol

I was thinking of doing a photo shoot with helmets at old Coastal Gun Emplacements / bunkers , with the Pacific ocean in the background or with the old concrete structures where the big guns used to be, gun battery

with a helmet they would have worn like the M1917 or the M1917A1

Another idea is a photo shoot with Vietnam helmets / militaria set up at the Vietnam War Memorial as the background

Hi

For about 30 bucks I have brought a pop up light tent and some daylight LED bulbs which give off a flawless white light.

I just need to get my head round the camera settings now...

Regards

Tom

stealthytyler

Hi

For about 30 bucks I have brought a pop up light tent and some daylight LED bulbs which give off a flawless white light.

I just need to get my head round the camera settings now...

Regards

Tom

What camera are you shooting on? Use the lowest ISO setting and a midrange aperature (f-stop) for the sharpest image possible. The shutter wont matter if you have it on a tripod. Try not to use a wide angle focal length or it will distort the image. Shoot for around a 50mm or 70mm lens.

What camera are you shooting on? Use the lowest ISO setting and a midrange aperature (f-stop) for the sharpest image possible. The shutter wont matter if you have it on a tripod. Try not to use a wide angle focal length or it will distort the image. Shoot for around a 50mm or 70mm lens.

Hi

That is great thank you for the advise.

I am using a Canon G15.

I will have a play with the settings this week.

Regards

Tom

stealthytyler

Hi

That is great thank you for the advise.

I am using a Canon G15.

I will have a play with the settings this week.

Regards

Tom

I use the g15 as a travel camera. Nice camera for the size and price.

1972firebird

Heres how it came out, I just used my iphone with a large piece of poster paper and i put one light right above the helmet and one next to me. I like how it came out.

post-162289-0-39158900-1468197340.jpegpost-162289-0-95789400-1468197347.jpegpost-162289-0-66706400-1468197354.jpegpost-162289-0-66092100-1468197364.jpegpost-162289-0-83042600-1468197375.jpegpost-162289-0-65310100-1468197385.jpeg

1972firebird

Its is paper. I used a page out of a plan for a construction project of my fathers, I just flipped it to the back.