USMC HGU-68

TLeo

Picked this off ebay the other day and surprisingly, since it is a squadron helmet, there was only one other person interested. it is from VMAQ-4 Seahawks, a Marine EA6B Prowler squadron and dates back to the 90s. It is identified and I was also able to pick up the named flight suit, G-suit and set of named cammo bdus from the same aviator.

I was a bit puzzled at first that the visor tracks had not been removed as normally seen so I went "googleing" and lo and behold.....pictures and video showing Marine Prowler crews indeed using hgu-68 helmets with this same configuration. I even found some biographical info on the officer as well that confirmed his service with the Seahawks.

post-5081-0-83292200-1467983795.jpg

post-5081-0-58621300-1467983817.jpg

post-5081-0-91534600-1467983830.jpg

post-5081-0-85940200-1467983852.jpg

northcoastaero

Nice helmet! The bungee type visors were probably used when night vision gear was adopted. Other reasons for using the bungee visors would be pilot/aircrew preference and parts of the lock knob assy. could be considered FOD if the assy. comes apart. Later modification to the helmet would be lightweight black plastic oxygen mask receiver guards. The first being the version with a sharp point at the bottom. The later has a rounded surface at the bottom. The oxygen mask would probably be the MBU-14/P, using the CRU-79/P mini-regulator. Later masks would use the CRU-103/P for the EA-6B acft. Hope this helps. Also, interesting to note, there is no Velcro on the helmet to attach a camouflage cover.

Nice helmet! The bungee type visors were probably used when night vision gear was adopted. Other reasons for using the bungee visors would be pilot/aircrew preference and parts of the lock knob assy. could be considered FOD if the assy. comes apart. Later modification to the helmet would be lightweight black plastic oxygen mask receiver guards. The first being the version with a sharp point at the bottom. The later has a rounded surface at the bottom. The oxygen mask would probably be the MBU-14/P, using the CRU-79/P mini-regulator. Later masks would use the CRU-103/P for the EA-6B acft. Hope this helps. Also, interesting to note, there is no Velcro on the helmet to attach a camouflage cover.

It is a bit odd there is no Velcro for a cammo cover now that you mention it, but there were none on the uncovered helmets that I found video of either. This is part of my project I will be starting and will take a while most likely but I have a good start. I was able to get his named flight suit, named torso harness, and G-suit and set of cammo utilities with name tape. So that leaves me with a SV2B to look for at the moment and a mbu-14 and lpu23 at some point.

From what I do know so far he was with the Seahawks in the 90s and participated in Bosnia ops. He started out his career as infantry officer and a year or so in, got orders to Pensacola and became a NFO and went to this squadron. He later volunteered for Anglico and earned his gold parachutist wings as well and a photo of him shows him wearing both wings.