Pearl Harbor Telegram ?

historyrecovered

historyrecovered

Hello all!

I recently came across one of the telegrams announcing the attack of pearl harbor , saying it's not a drill and coming from a aircraft scouting force, december 7th 1941 .

I'll try to post photos as soon as I can but does this at all sound familiar and does anyone know their rarity or value ?

I can find them all over google as a copy scan but none in regards to value or rarity of one

Thank you in advance !

ViewfinderGyrene

Ok so Navy primarily then, more common one would think than Marines, Army, or AAF, but you sure have an historic find there!

I have two such though they don't related to Pearl. One announces the beginning of Guadalcanal to the 1st MarDiv, and the other was sent from Nimitz's command to all Marines involved in Iwo, it announces the supposed end to the battle 12 days before it actually ended. Couldn't put a price on either lol.

Look forward to what others may have as far as knowledge of value. As with many things, it may well be "priceless" :)

~VFG

ViewfinderGyrene

May I be the first to say HOLY S#$%! If it's with the fellow in Boston it HAS to be top tier!

I know I saw one of these either here on the forum or on Antiques Roadshow. IIRC, it came from a vet who was in communications and received the message. Unfortunately, I can't find it on either site.

That's a really nice one to have!

My ONLY problem with ephemera like this: and I'm NOT NOT NOT saying this is a copy or fake: without seeing it in hand, and really seeing the paper- if you can find it online, what's to keep someone from burning off a copy? something this rare, if its carrying a premium price: personally, I'd want to examine that by hand and jewelers loop first...

• 3 years later...
DoubleEnvelopment

I have one of these as well. Came in a large grouping with dozens of other despatches. The one I have from the USS Ellyson, which was in Atlantic at the time.

DoubleEnvelopment

Here is a photo of mine. There are actually three related to the attack on Pearl Harbor. Unfortunately he stapled the Ellyson (DD-454) despatches together so you can't see the name and hull classification or number.

While googling what WPL Forty was I found a similar series that was sold at Cowans a few years back:

https://www.cowanauctions.com/lot/world-war-ii-teletypes-the-beginning-and-end-of-the-war-7-dec-1941-and-15-august-1945-1965626

post-102578-0-29819600-1581672923_thumb.jpg

post-102578-0-29563600-1581673195_thumb.jpg

post-102578-0-12465700-1581673207_thumb.jpg

From your link: Second message is from SECNAV to "(?)_LNAV" "EXECUTE WPL FORTY SIX AGAINST JAPAN." (Also known as War plan Rainbow Five)

Having been a duty officer on many occasions, I cannot imagine a more chilling message.