Hello all!

I recently came across one of the telegrams announcing the attack of pearl harbor , saying it's not a drill and coming from a aircraft scouting force, december 7th 1941 .

I'll try to post photos as soon as I can but does this at all sound familiar and does anyone know their rarity or value ?

I can find them all over google as a copy scan but none in regards to value or rarity of one

Thank you in advance !

Always Looking for : D-Day Items , War Torn Flags+ Helmets, Purple Heart Medals and Research Projects (Estates) US GERMAN JAPAN\ ITALY

What branch, unit, or command is it sent from and or to?

~VFG

***Items from unit called 8th Field Depot***

[Most frequently-sought unit because of family connection]

Intact ["out of the woodwork"] Marine Corps combat groups from WWII.

Unique items signed by many Marines from one unit, or inscribed with combat history.

Marine Corps valor recipient items.

Souvenirs taken by Marines with exceptional background and/or unique stories/documentation.

Marine Ship Detachment items from major naval engagements and those that warrant stars to ETO ribbon.

Ok so Navy primarily then, more common one would think than Marines, Army, or AAF, but you sure have an historic find there!

I have two such though they don't related to Pearl. One announces the beginning of Guadalcanal to the 1st MarDiv, and the other was sent from Nimitz's command to all Marines involved in Iwo, it announces the supposed end to the battle 12 days before it actually ended. Couldn't put a price on either lol.

Look forward to what others may have as far as knowledge of value. As with many things, it may well be "priceless" :)

~VFG

Unique items signed by many Marines from one unit, or inscribed with combat history.

Souvenirs taken by Marines with exceptional background and/or unique stories/documentation.

Marine Ship Detachment items from major naval engagements and those that warrant stars to ETO ribbon.

Always Looking for : D-Day Items , War Torn Flags+ Helmets, Purple Heart Medals and Research Projects (Estates) US GERMAN JAPAN\ ITALY

May I be the first to say HOLY S#$%! If it's with the fellow in Boston it HAS to be top tier!

Photo for all to see!

post-153444-0-47722200-1467949489.gif

Very cool indeed!!

JD

AAF Collector...........
**Always Buying WW2 Aviation Related Items: Especially Operation Tidal Wave items (1st Ploesti Raid) ..... WW2 Fighter Ace Related Items.....Higher End A-2 Flight Jacket Groups....AAF Related Valor Medal Groups**

donation2017.gif
donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

I know I saw one of these either here on the forum or on Antiques Roadshow. IIRC, it came from a vet who was in communications and received the message. Unfortunately, I can't find it on either site.

That's a really nice one to have!

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. "

View my website honoring the men and women of Indiana: http://indianavets.wix.com/indiana-at-war and follow my updates on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/IndianaModernAgeofWar/
Interested in US uniforms? Join the Association of American Military Uniform Collectors! http://aamuc.org/or find us on Facebook! facebook.com/AAMUC.ORG

Do we have any rough idea how many of these exact versions would've been produced?

My ONLY problem with ephemera like this: and I'm NOT NOT NOT saying this is a copy or fake: without seeing it in hand, and really seeing the paper- if you can find it online, what's to keep someone from burning off a copy? something this rare, if its carrying a premium price: personally, I'd want to examine that by hand and jewelers loop first...

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

• 3 years later...

Here is a photo of mine. There are actually three related to the attack on Pearl Harbor. Unfortunately he stapled the Ellyson (DD-454) despatches together so you can't see the name and hull classification or number.

While googling what WPL Forty was I found a similar series that was sold at Cowans a few years back:

https://www.cowanauctions.com/lot/world-war-ii-teletypes-the-beginning-and-end-of-the-war-7-dec-1941-and-15-august-1945-1965626

post-102578-0-29819600-1581672923_thumb.jpg

post-102578-0-29563600-1581673195_thumb.jpg

post-102578-0-12465700-1581673207_thumb.jpg

Looking for any USN diaries from the Pacific during WWII.

donation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

From your link: Second message is from SECNAV to "(?)_LNAV" "EXECUTE WPL FORTY SIX AGAINST JAPAN." (Also known as War plan Rainbow Five)

Having been a duty officer on many occasions, I cannot imagine a more chilling message.

Gil Burket
Omaha, NE
Specializing in Fakes and Reproductions
of the Vietnam War

burkcats@hotmail.com

"One is easily fooled by that which one loves."

Moliere: Tartuffe

donation2017.gif

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif