M-9 question

bheskett

This is for the folks that have been in the service recently. Does the M-9 bayonet get issued to regular troops any longer (non spec ops types) and if not when did they stop? And are there any pics out there of them being in use, I am not sure where they would go with the MOLLE gear.

Thanks

Bob

I'm always interested in that type of information. Of course, the M9 was in use during Iraq and Afghanistan. The OKC3S as well. As far as current use, I'd like to know if they no longer issue bayonets as a regular part of their gear.

Marv

I happened to ask a young man in the NG if he was issued a bayonet. He recently graduated basic and jump school. Has done time with his NG unit. He was NOT issued a bayonet. Kind of looked at me with an "Why" look on his face. Said most use a multi-tool or fixed blade knife.

At least in this NG unit bayonets are NOT issued apparently.

In my Active Duty and USAR time (late sixties - early nineties) (Infantry and Military Police) bayonets were not issued on a routine basis. They were kept in the supply or arms rooms as a controlled item. Sometimes when going to the field bayonets were issued, but not always. MPs trained with them routinely for crowd control exercises, but were then returned to the arms room. Of course, in Vietnam (grunt) we had them.

My understanding is that the Army does not train with bayonets in Basic or AIT.

Ken

Hellfish41

Bob,

I can affirm all the above. From 07-2013 I was never issued a bayonet. They were kept around in garrison, but i never even had training with them in OSUT. The most common thing you'd see is the issued multitool attached to the vest or a small private purchase pocket knife attached to molle loops by the clips.

Josh

I think they are still issued to troops in combat based upon recent photos I've seen posted from Afghanistan. I don't recall ever being issued a bayonet for other than riot training etc. In units I was in they were kept in the arms rooms and never issued. Even headquarters units had them available if needed, i.e. CENTCOM in Qatar. Not exactly current but a data point.