Is this a real 5th group patch?

turko

I was just watching Close Encounters of the Third Kind recently and the military wears this patch on their shoulders. It sure looks like 5th Group's beret flash but obviously much bigger and oval-shaped. The people in the movie are not supposed to be 5th Group, so I was wondering if the production crew made up a patch based on 5th Group's beret flash, or this is an actual SSI that 5th Group used at one point and the crew just appropriated it. I did a little research but couldn't find anything that indicates it's a real patch, so I thought I'd ask the experts here!

Carl-Patch2.jpg

I was always trying to find an image of this character Major Will Bill Walsh, he's got that patch on, but could only find this image where his right side is showing and one more, a head shot.

post-34986-0-37918100-1468374795.jpg

Until now. Here's one I finally found, it's supposedly called the " Guardian Team Patch".

post-34986-0-37169000-1468374893.jpg

I will take that old liberty and link this entire topic in the phoney Hollywood Patches topic.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/31502-hollywood-shoulder-patches/