Experimental 1990 dated 3-color DCU top?

milsurp_scout_14

milsurp_scout_14

Ran across this in a Goodwill and wavered on whether to pick it up or not. It's a 3-color desert top, but it's dated 1990 according to the tag. Made by American Apparel (in Alabama, not that pricey mall store). I know DCU's were adopted in 1992, but apparently there was some experimental versions that were issued during Desert Storm (and therefore had a '90 contract date). Nothing about the construction or tags screams aftermarket....but I was wondering if someone with more knowledge of contract numbers could give an opinion. It's made from the non-rip-stop fabric (sometimes called winter weight).

Contract number is DLA100-90-D-0584

post-153911-0-84467900-1467780477.jpg

Longbranch

I don't believe these are "experimental", but rather the 1st contract of 3-color DCU uniforms. There were DCU uniforms produced under a 1990 dated contract produced by American Apparel and Terry Manufacturing.

The non-ripstop fabric is common with early DCU contracts (remember, the DBDU uniforms were also non-ripstop), so it is not a definitive feature of and experimental or prototype garment. These DCUs with non-ripstop fabric were used throughout the 1990s and even into early OEF/OIF. Occasionally an early 1991 contract ripstop-fabric DCU pops up, but they are fairly uncommon.

Bravo2zero

I've got 1990 ripstop sets made of cotton with waist tabs , even got a modified one. They also produced a yoke backed cotton one too 1990. The camo print itself dates from around 1989 first issued as helmet covers , frag vest covers and M65 jackets.

The experimental of this print is the 3 colour minus the brown stains leaving just the pink and khaki shades in the exact same print.

This has been addressed before, but I cannot find the thread.

I believe it was determined that the "Desert Camouflage Pattern (3 color)" (the military's designation) was standardized 14 (trousers) and 29 (coat) August 1990. In that both types (listed below) were standardized under the following nomenclature (applicable to both the trousers and coat):

"Type IV - Desert Camouflage Pattern (3 color), cotton/nylon twill cloth"

"Type V - Desert Camouflage Pattern (3 color), cotton poplin cloth"

The DLA100-90-D-0584 contract was actually not awarded until 6 March 1991. Odd, but definitely not "out of the ordinary". The contract was completed 30 September 1991. So, milsurp_scout14, your coat was possibly manufactured between 6 Mar 91 and 30 Sep 91. A lot of people have confused the date in the contract number as the year the item was manufactured. But, as always, it is the fiscal year the contract was awarded, with yours being an example of the flexibility in the way contracts can sometimes be awarded and a contract that is an "exception to the norm."

milsurp_scout_14

Thanks for all the info. I went ahead and picked it up, mostly because I don't have that pattern in my collection yet. What I found odd was that later in the day I found a 6-color desert (chocolate chip pattern) coat with the exact same tag/contract number/manufacturer on it. I'm guessing they made both patterns when it was filled.

That experimental stuff is cool! I like the reversible idea, too bad it didn't make the cut. Always seemed sensible to me.

Looks like the trial reversible urban coat used in urban warrior by the USMC ( not T patt )

Camouflage pattern is definitely close, but does not appear to have the exposed buttons of the reversible trial coat. But seems to make sense SINCE the soldier is wearing woodland trousers. Of course Natick is Army, so maybe they were trying the pattern out too.