4th of July parade, Centralia, WA

willysmb44

willysmb44

Centralia is a tiny little town exactly between Seattle and Portland, Oregon.
The parade went really well. I think we had almost 20 MVs in the parade, ranging from a Ford GP to a Humvee. They were all lined up sequentially in order of the year they were made. The crowds love seeing us, especially as no current military units showed up. We traditionally set up in a park early in the morning until noon, go to a member’s house (stuffing all the vehicles into his back alley) but a big cookout, then to the parade. It’s usually a good time and we weren’t dying from the heat like last year.
As for the photos, my 1944 Willys MB is to the far left in the panoramic shot and right in front of the GMC 2 1/2 ton in the alley shot...
No photos from the parade itself as I was busy keeping an eye on the kids darting among our vehicles trying to pick up tossed candy (I don't toss candy at parades), an eye on the gauges as well as focusing on the start-stop-start-stop-start-stop-start-stop-start-stop-start-stop nature of parades in this part of the country. :rolleyes:

post-2617-0-58658100-1467745285.jpg

Small world...I spent some time between there and Chehalis as I kid when I would visit my dad in the 80's. Cool lookin' parade though!

willysmb44

Small world...I spent some time between there and Chehalis as I kid when I would visit my dad in the 80's.

The display was in Fort Borst park, and I bet you know where that was. remember the steam locomotive that used to sit in that park? They moved it out of there a few years ago and it's very slowly being restored to operation. You wouldn't recognize the are now for all the changes that have occurred along the I-5 corridor through there...

Are the giant black yard birds still around? Used to love going into that store with my dad.

willysmb44

We lucked up, weather-wise, with overcast skies but not too bad. Last year, we roasted in the mid 90s. I remember after lunch, my Jeep was in that same alley for a couple of hours, and the temp gauge was already at where it'd be for the engine having warmed up for 5 minutes.

Are the giant black yard birds still around? Used to love going into that store with my dad.

It's a shell of what you remember. The store itself is still there but it's an open space for a never-ending flea market and a grocery store. It's now the kind of place you go if you're a recovering meth addict... Keep your hand on your wallet at all times while you're there.

3169090027_523f05c57c.jpg