Early EX54 gear

37thguy

Wouawww ! A fabulous set not findable in Europe.

There are pics in the technical report EP71 "The Physiology of Load Carrying XIV" of july 1957, but they are unusable.

Marko

So all ammo pouches would be the same number, canteen covers had their own number, etc...?

It's hard to say. I did not find documents which speak of tests of each items.

I have images of the EX54-10 water canteen cover (the "10" is NOT marked out and replaced with "11"). The "10" version has the spring clip belt-strap keepers. I do not know if this is how they distinguished from the two different test/trial belt-strap keepers utilized. I do not own the images, so I cannot post them.

Here is an image of the "spring clip" test/trial belt strap keeper:

post-3045-0-74970000-1468003887.jpg

The EX54-13 test/trial belt with test/trial buckle (this was posted by a member 302w back in 2014):

post-3045-0-42355400-1468004039.jpg

Here is an image of the "spring clip" test/trial belt strap keeper:

Hello sgtmonroe,

It would be possible to have the photo of the other face.

Thanks

Marko

As sgtmonroe said, there were two different canteen covers. Both were originally marked EX54-10 but one has this blacked out and is marked 11. The only difference between the two is the clips.

post-192-0-99733700-1468101291.jpg

There are two "large" ammunition pouches. One is marked EX54-17 and the other, which I assume was for the FN-FAL rifle trials, is marked EX54-16-FN.

post-192-0-81978900-1468101519.jpg

Two different entrenching tool carriers. Note that the one on the left appears to have had a canvas strap that seems to have gone around the back of the carrier and snapped onto the left snap on the body. The instruction sheet inside the combat pack says to attach the entrenching tool carrier to the suspenders cross strap. I believe there was a pattern of suspenders that must have had this feature. The pattern I have has no means to attach the carrier. I think the strap would have been passed under the back straps for added stability. The Marine Corps M1967 suspenders do have this feature. Just one more oddity for us collectors!!

post-192-0-89282600-1468101979.jpg

Hi keystone,

Thank you for these very interesting pics. By looking at these, we can conclude that the number is not attached to the item. Two différents tools carrier and canteen covers with the same number.

The combat pack on the left is similar to the pic that you had found in a newspaper

1607100928493573514366634.jpg

Same buckles WWII, same position of shovel

Marko