Early EX54 gear

37thguy

Finally picked up a few pieces of the very first Nam era web gear. Got a Butt Pouch, sans clips, and Two Ammo pouches. One is missing its strap. Still looking for a canteen cover and a few clips. Better condition ammo pouches would be nice. Anyone out there have this stuff, in any condition?

post-729-0-64252400-1467742124.jpg

Finally picked up a few pieces of the very first Nam era web gear. Got a Butt Pouch, sans clips, and Two Ammo pouches. One is missing its strap. Still looking for a canteen cover and a few clips. Better condition ammo pouches would be nice. Anyone out there have this stuff, in any condition?

Thx Robin ;)

I have the entire set except for the Sleeping Gear Carrier. I posted photos a while back.

Tim

FYI,

There are two different sized ammo pouches, a large and a small, and the only photo I've ever seen shows the soldier wearing the large on his right and the small on his left. There were also two different versions of the butt pack and shovel cover.

Tim

Hello,

The original configuration with sleeping bag carrier straps

Here, ammo pouches have no more leather straps

110815070315357358590262.jpg

110815070315357358590261.jpg

Marko

Any idea what this pouch is for?

Keystone, wasn't the larger pouch designed for carrying belted ammunition?

Here is a small (sorry, I'd didn't save a larger one) image of the suspenders I gave to Craig when he was trying to put together a complete set:

post-3045-0-93847200-1467929211.jpg

Any idea what this pouch is for?

Yes, Belted ammunition and probably all kinds of larges magazines like M3 Grease Gun, BAR, ect...

Anyone know what the numbers after the EX54 mean?

Even there it is only a supposition, for me, it is a number to recognize the various tested models during the evaluations or test number which lasted several years

Marko

Even there it is only a supposition, for me, it is a number to recognize the various tested models during the evaluations or test number which lasted several years

Marko

So all ammo pouches would be the same number, canteen covers had their own number, etc...?

Keystone, wasn't the larger pouch designed for carrying belted ammunition?

Here is a small (sorry, I'd didn't save a larger one) image of the suspenders I gave to Craig when he was trying to put together a complete set:

attachicon.gifK004.JPG

I think both the large and small pouches were always simply designated as "universal". At the time the Army had so many different small caliber weapons that they wanted to get away from having a different belt or pouch for each type. This was also the time period when they were testing the M1 rifle's replacement. I will try to find my papers on the testing but from what I remember I only have material from the earlier T53-8 pack. The only photos I've ever seen of the complete EX-54 set are from the book marko posted. I can't seem to find the photos I posted of my complete set. I'll have to pull it out and take some more. I've updated some of the pieces.

Tim