"JAMA" Aviation Ashtray

Scott C.

Anyone know what "JAMA" would represent on this cast aluminum ashtray? No maker markings on the bottom, and don't know the period of manufacture..

Thanks!

post-2884-0-21991900-1467595850.jpg

Anyone know what "JAMA" would represent on this cast aluminum ashtray? No maker markings on the bottom, and don't know the period of manufacture..

Thanks!

From out in left field: JAMA: The Journal of the American Medical Association is a peer-reviewed medical journal published 48 times a year by the American Medical Association.

Don't laugh, back in the day some Doctors endorsed cigarettes and even appeared in some advertisements. Now if those were Flight Surgeon wings.

Bill

From out in left field: JAMA: The Journal of the American Medical Association is a peer-reviewed medical journal published 48 times a year by the American Medical Association.

That was the first thing I thought of as well. Although I was hoping for something like "Jamestown Aviation Military Academy" or something similar, but no luck with my searches in Google.

Cobra 6 Actual

Well, trying to connect the aviation wings with the acronym I found that there is an Academy of Modern Aeronautics (AMA), but I don't know if it had a Journal or even a Junior section that would provide the 'J' we need to solve this word puzzle. Sorry.

Thanks for the inputs gents. I think Bill and Beast nailed it: Journal of American Medical Association. That seems to have the most direct link to "JAMA" in this context.

Thanks again for the help!

Looks like Bill nailed it. Here is a photo from an oncology journal article that discusses smoking and advertising by healthcare professionals. http://www.cancernetwork.com/oncology-journal/blowing-smoke-lost-legacy-1964-surgeon-generals-report-smoking-and-health.

attachicon.gifjama ashtray.jpg

All my training, practice and reading pays off in ways I never imagined.

Bill