Capac or Westinghouse? Liner question

ttuck615

Just recently picked this up from a local antique store and thought it was pretty cool. Looks to be Korean War era but I honestly don't know. Has no sweat band, and some of the webbing has broken off, but the question I have is, I see a Westinghouse logo, as well as Capac with some numbers. Can anyone explain this to me? I believe the numbers are dates, but I'm also unsure. Any help would be appreciated, thanks - Trevor

post-159808-0-93452700-1467577282.jpeg

sgtdorango

Looks like you have a nice korean war era dated capac para liner, the numbers 51,52 and 53 are liner mold dates, yours was probably made in 1953.....mike

sgtdorango

I think its just that CAPAC bought the Westinghouse liner molds and rather than remove the old logo just added their own and continued pumping out liners for the Korean War era....mike

I think its just that CAPAC bought the Westinghouse liner molds and rather than remove the old logo just added their own and continued pumping out liners for the Korean War era....mike

Wow that's pretty cool! Thanks for all the help!

It has been a long time since I have read over materials dealing with the 1950s helmet manufacture and I can't remember where I tucked my book away but if memory serves, Westinghouse Micarta Division supplied all the resin impregnated duck cloth for liner manufacture during this time. A separate division of Westinghouse, Mine Safety Appliance and CAPAC were the three manufacturers that actually pressed liners. If I recall Westinghouse and MSA, in addition to their respective mold in marks, chose to include a little dated white tag with the Micarta Westinghouse logo to acknowledge Micarta's supply of the duck cloth while CAPAC chose to place the Westinghouse logo, as a mold in mark, in addition to theirs along with the date of the mold's manufacture in the corners of the CAPAC cross.