VN era Army Nurses Uniform

Mr.Jerry

Just picked this set up, Rip-stop material, unissued, dated 75 but pretty cool. I like the access holes in the pockets for what I assume are medical instruments. came with matching pants

IMG_3282.JPG

IMG_3283.JPG

CombatEng44

Nice! You would think these uniforms would pop up more often but they don't. I was fortunate to obtain a complete VN Nurses uniform fully "decked" out as it would have been in country....even her watch attached to the shirt.

Steve

What makes that a nurse specific uniform? It looks like the regular issue female hot weather field uniform issued to and worn by all female soldiers.

What makes that a nurse specific uniform? It looks like the regular issue female hot weather field uniform issued to and worn by all female soldiers.

It's the slits on the pocket flaps atb, these for various medical implements.

Check these out.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/20252-womens-uniforms-in-vietnam-photos/

It's the slits on the pocket flaps atb, these for various medical implements.

Check these out.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/20252-womens-uniforms-in-vietnam-photos/

I'm with ATB on this one. Those slits in the pocket flaps were part of the standard design issued across all specialties. In fact, in that thread you provided there are a couple of photos of non-nurse WAC members wearing the same uniform with the same slits in the pocket flap.

The original intent may have been for medical personnel, but it would not have made sense in the supply chain to have two different sets of fatigues.

According to Stanton's US Army Uniforms of the Vietnam War, it is the female hot weather field uniform. The slits serve the same purpose as the ones in OG-107 fatigue chest pockets, for pens and pencils. Some medical instruments will fit, too, but it is not a nurse specific uniform. Non-medical female soldiers I saw in the early to mid-1970s wore this uniform.

According to Stanton's US Army Uniforms of the Vietnam War, it is the female hot weather field uniform. The slits serve the same purpose as the ones in OG-107 fatigue chest pockets, for pens and pencils. Some medical instruments will fit, too, but it is not a nurse specific uniform. Non-medical female soldiers I saw in the early to mid-1970s wore this uniform.

Interesting.

These are getting less common, especially if you have a matched set. And your set is correct for the Vietnam period.

Innerworld3

Nice! Digging through a box of OG-107's, I thought I found a Nurse's shirt, but it ended up just being a USAF shirt.

I saw in the early to mid-1970s wore this uniform.

I saw them in the late 70's. I don't think the phased out until 78 when the new permanent press came out. I'm not sure why they are so rare since they were in the system so long.

I saw them in the late 70's. I don't think the phased out until 78 when the new permanent press came out. I'm not sure why they are so rare since they were in the system so long.

They were in the system so long because we made thousands of them! And we even made a later pattern, also in ripstop.

This was okay if the women were serving in a hot weather climate, such as Fort Hood. Even then, I recall seeing them being starched, which just about destroyed the

ripstop reinforcing threads.

Now as far as a cold weather climate, like Germany... not so popular. A lot of the women I served with switched to small sized male pattern fatigues. Either one was considered acceptable.

The USAF came out with a female version of the standard OG-107. I thinks some of the Army women also picked some of these up when they had the opportunity.