Was There A Specific Size Range For Flannel Shirts in WWII?

Matthew1945

Matthew1945

Anyone know by any chance if there was a specified range of sizes for the flannel shirt that came standard issue? I know most ACU's for instance currently can range from extra short-extra small to a very large spectrum of body types. I was wondering if it held the same back then or if the sizes were less ranged and one had to get their uniform tailored to overcome this. For instance, I hardly find shirts with a smaller size than 14-32 or 14 1/2 - 32(Although today I just found a shirt that was 13-32) or ones larger than 15 1/2 - 32.

Hi, you need to find a listing of the stock numbers and match them to specific sizes (best if you could the read the QM tag). Out of the Quartermaster Supply Catalog (Aug 1943) the stock numbers for the Shirt, Flannel, od, Coat Style, Special run from 55-S-5652-2 to 55-S5668-7 which roughly translates to some 16 plus different sizes. For example I have seen an NOS Quartermaster tag (sewn into lower edge of shirt) with stock number 55-S-5659-4 which is size 15 1/2 x 34 - you can try to do the math above and below this size. I believe the neck worked by half sizes and the sleeves by whole sizes.

Hope this is somewhat helpful.

Jeff

lamarhooten

If I can find it at the next show I have, I will take a picture of 16.5 x 33 I have. Biggest I have ever encountered!

Matthew1945

Hi, you need to find a listing of the stock numbers and match them to specific sizes (best if you could the read the QM tag). Out of the Quartermaster Supply Catalog (Aug 1943) the stock numbers for the Shirt, Flannel, od, Coat Style, Special run from 55-S-5652-2 to 55-S5668-7 which roughly translates to some 16 plus different sizes. For example I have seen an NOS Quartermaster tag (sewn into lower edge of shirt) with stock number 55-S-5659-4 which is size 15 1/2 x 34 - you can try to do the math above and below this size. I believe the neck worked by half sizes and the sleeves by whole sizes.

Hope this is somewhat helpful.

Jeff

Thank you both for the responses! Jeff, another question though I imagine both of you could answer it, in your experience has the length of the shirt itself (like from shoulder seam to end) consistently stayed the same across the sizes or as the sleeves become shorter does the shirt shorten as well?

Matthew1945

Length of body will be the same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you! Just measured one of my unissued shirts and the length from shoulder seam to the bottom of the shirt was around 30 inches. Was this the standard or have you seen shirts longer or shorter without being modified?

Matthew1945

Edit: starting at the shoulder seam (specifically at the point along the seam closest to the collar base) and going all the way down to the end of the shirt, measures 31 inches exact.

I don't have shirts in front of me right now, but it is a safe bet that the length would increase or decrease according to sizing of shirt - a 16 x 34 person is sizeably larger than a 13x32 person.