Reed and Barton WW1 Wings?

cwnorma

While looking at some photos I noticed these look very much like the wing above:

post-594-0-65087800-1467514248.jpg

Forum Member rustywings

post-594-0-06552900-1467514356.jpg

Recent eBay sale

post-594-0-55683500-1467514375.jpg

Flying Tiger Antiques prior sale

I think its reasonably safe to say that Reed and Barton were the maker of this badge. Interestingly, this 2 1/2 inch size badge seems to be the only version they made.

I have often thought that some of these 2 1/2 inch badges were made to appeal to a different aesthetic from the larger badges--and not necessarily sweetheart badges. There are a number of badges that come in under 3 inches and there certainly some of those were quite diminutive. I wonder if Reed and Barton were chasing the; "elegant but not ostentatious pilot" clientele? Certainly, some other badges like the Eisenstadt mustache badges, and the Meyer, Link, and small-type Robbins wings are comparable in size (if a little closer to regulation 3 inches).

Like the Robbins badges, these seem to have been die struck and then hand chased and finished--a very nice quality badge.

There seem to be a number of these 2 1/2 inch badges that are neither quite a sweetheart pin nor quite a full size badge.

Chris

rustywings

I agree Chris. There certainly is a striking resemblance with these examples and the USAS Pilot wing illustrated in the advertisement.

Russ,

This is an interesting badge. Looking closely between the shield and the wings, it appears as though there is extra material that was not cut out. I wonder if Reed and Barton didn't intend for this to be a "Dallas-type" badge--three pieces attached to a felt covered backplate or, perhaps separated like a Humrichous-type badge with silver wires on the back? Given this badge's relative dimensions, a quarter-inch separation between the wings and shield would bring it right up to regulation three-inch size.

Reed and barton was a large and successful silver concern and went to the expense of making the die. They must have thought it would have been a worthwhile business endeavor. Perhaps they just got into the game too late and the early 1919 changes more or less killed the market for WW1 style badges?

Thanks for commenting!

Chris

• 4 years later...

Resurrecting this old thread.

I was able to finally pick up one of these Reed and Barton wings at the Nashville show:

IMG_0020.jpeg.4125afe7c369491ba8a9cec490d95da1.jpeg

I was happy to add it to the collection.

Chris

Nice addition to your collection Chris!  I strongly agree with your comments in the old thread concerning some USAS Pilots electing to wear smaller wings in the 2.5 inch range. I have a few WWI era photos that lend support to that idea. 

Attached is a small photograph grouping of USAS Lt. Robert T. Cronau. A couple of the images show him wearing a full size bullion Pilot badge... but other photos depict the Lieutenant wearing a much smaller silver metal badge, similar in size and design to the Reed & Barton examples posted above...   

Lt. Robert T. Cronau 1.jpg

I don't believe he's wearing a wing identical to Chris' recent find... but, think the width of this variant pattern is in the 2.50 to 2.75 inch range and likely should not be considered a sweetheart piece... 

Lt. Robert T. Cronau 2.jpg

Lt. Robert T. Cronau 4.jpg

Russ,

Wonderful images with a great small-sized badge!

Thank you for sharing them.

Chris

On 11/28/2020 at 2:10 PM, cwnorma said:

Resurrecting this old thread.

I was able to finally pick up one of these Reed and Barton wings at the Nashville show:

IMG_0020.jpeg.4125afe7c369491ba8a9cec490d95da1.jpeg

I was happy to add it to the collection.

Chris

Pretty spiffy!

I did not know they were still having shows with Covid around. Chris, could you post a photo of the reverse as well?

6 hours ago, blind pew said:

Chris, could you post a photo of the reverse as well?

blind pew,

Certainly!  Here you are:

ReedandBarton.jpg.a1af01a9af9b69af03634a3387afd5bf.jpg

Drop-in safety catch and thick 100 degree pin.  I haven't had a chance to test it yet, but suspect the separately applied US is low-karat gold due to its level of tarnish.  The only marking I can find is the content mark "STERLING" 

Cheers!

Chris