(2) Vietnam War era patched up flight suits

ludwigh1980

ludwigh1980

I was fortunate to win these two flight suits together at a local junk auction for a whole $4.00 plus tax. I really like the 405th patch however I don't know what unit it is exactly. If anyone knows, any information would be greatly appreciated. With the name I have been having a hard time turning anything up as to the officer. Vietnam stuff is just starting to come out of the woodwork locally, It has always been rare to find with WW2 stuff much more common to find.

Regards,

Terry .

post-23325-0-94158600-1467510851.jpg

The best I am coming up with on the 405th patch is the 405th TFW which was based at Clark AFB, Philippines, 9 April 1959 – 16 September 1974 during the Vietnam War.

According to Air Force Combat Wings, Lineage and Honors Histories, 1947-1977, the wing "frequently deployed assigned and attached components to bases in Southeast Asia for air defense and combat operations under operational control of other organizations."

Looking at the design of your patch, I am going to guess it was a deployment of such a detachment to Korat. I would further guess they were deployed without per diem, or extra money paid for their time away from their home base. Thus the symbolism of a giant screw going through a bag of money.

SOL would be "S**t Out of Luck". The patch appears to have been locally made in Thailand.

ludwigh1980

Thank you Gil, that's more than I could figure out besides the Korat Thailand. I have to see if I can track the vets info down locally.

Regard,

Terry

firefighter

I have the same exact patch. I always thought it was something to do with the 405th TFW. But it is actually crew patch from the 552nd AEW&C Wing, Crew 405. I found it on a Wing page a few years back, which I can not find now.

ludwigh1980

Thank you firefighter! That would coincide with the 964th AACS for this officer, which I am guessing was the unit he went on to after the one in question.. That's cool, My sister was in Awacs and is currently in JSTARS. I don't know what she does as it is above my security clearance.

Regards,

Terry

firefighter

Thank you firefighter! That would coincide with the 964th AACS for this officer, which I am guessing was the unit he went on to after the one in question.. That's cool, My sister was in Awacs and is currently in JSTARS. I don't know what she does as it is above my security clearance.

Regards,

Terry

Terry, You're welcome. I just wish I could have found the page as it had other crew patches.Still not sure what the 'SOL' & 'NOL' mean though. Ya! That stuff is above my security clearance too, I only had secret. :)

I have the same exact patch. I always thought it was something to do with the 405th TFW. But it is actually crew patch from the 552nd AEW&C Wing, Crew 405. I found it on a Wing page a few years back, which I can not find now.

Well, so much for my well considered and logical explanation of the patch! Learn something new every day.

Here is a different patch from Crew 405, although this one is identified to Udorn.

http://usmilitarypatches.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=8666

• 5 months later...