Riverside Cemetery, Asheville NC

439th Signal Battalion

439th Signal Battalion

I had some free time this morning so my kids and I decided to go by Riverside Cemetery while out running errands. It has been years since I have visited there (I used to help in placing flags on the graves of Confederate soldiers during Confederate Memorial Day) and I had almost forgotten about some of the intriguing historical personalities that are found there. Even though I only had time to locate a few of these, there are hundreds of veterans from the Mexican War up to Vietnam buried here, including several German POW's from WWI that died of the Spanish Flu epidemic.

post-4009-0-23707800-1467484753.jpg

A.C. Redwood was the famous Confederate solider and artist that was with the Army of Virginia during the war. Many of his drawings and sketches are some of the best primary sources for Confederate soldiers in the field.

439th Signal Battalion

post-4009-0-06966800-1467484987.jpg

I would assume some of these German soldiers were Jewish, hence the stones that are on top of the monument?

439th Signal Battalion

post-4009-0-18377600-1467485052.jpg

Posey was a bodyguard of President Lincoln but was not on duty the night he was assassinated.

439th Signal Battalion

post-4009-0-28082700-1467485158.jpg

Medal of Honor winner for actions at the Battle of Cedar Creek, VA, October 1864.

439th Signal Battalion

post-4009-0-18369100-1467485319.jpg

Author Thomas Wolfe of, "Look Homeward Angel." His father was born in Gettysburg, PA and was there during the battle.

439th Signal Battalion

post-4009-0-73928900-1467485445.jpg

Author, O'Henry, or William Sydney Portier. He wrote, "The Gift of the Magi" and many other short stories.

attachicon.gifIMG_0773 (450x600).jpg

Posey was a bodyguard of President Lincoln but was not on duty the night he was assassinated.

The things this man saw...87 years that saw the Civil War and WWI, and some of the biggest and most monumental advances in America History. The biggest things we see anymore are social networking and wireless technology...pales in comparison to cars and flight

439th Signal Battalion

$1.87 in change. One of my favorite tales, I enjoy watching the melodrama performed in period costumes every Thanksgiving - Christmas Season at the Birdcage Theater at Knotts in Buena Park. Thanks for posting the photos.

https://riversidecemeterync.wordpress.com/2015/07/08/o-henrys-pennies/

$1.87 in change...you got it! Very good sir.

Interestingly, I just read this story again not too long ago in an old ex-library book called, "Stories to Remember." When I first saw his grave this morning, I couldn't figure out why these coins were there and then it dawned on me...

439th Signal Battalion

The things this man saw...87 years that saw the Civil War and WWI, and some of the biggest and most monumental advances in America History. The biggest things we see anymore are social networking and wireless technology...pales in comparison to cars and flight

Very true.

I kind of chucked when I found this grave this morning. As the years passed, many of the Northern and Southern soldiers were known to have put their differences aside and conversed about old times like old friends.

In my mind, I can see CPT Posey and a Southern soldier asking what they did in the war.

"Well sir, I was with the 14th North Carolina a fought with General Lee in the Army of Northern Virginia until Appomattox." "How about you?"

"I was one of President Lincoln's personal bodyguards..."

I'll be that raised in eyebrow or two in the South.