To Strip or not to Strip? ID'd 29th set

jbassmaster18

jbassmaster18

So my recent acquisitions are on their way, and they are both KILLER lids!! One is a named and i'ded 29th set right out of a vets estate auction. Liner is painted as is the helmet, but as seen, the helmet received a late or post war 69th decal over the top of the 29th emblem. I am considering attempting to strip the decal to reveal what looks to be a NICE 29th emblem. However I'd like to hear others thoughts? Leave it as is?? Remove a little just to expose the 29th??, or strip the entire decal?? If I am going to strip, what is the best method? (I'm assuming being a water decal it should come off easily) I usually use goof off and Qtips, however I am cautious on such a high dollar lid......

post-67068-0-86190500-1467483084.png

Garandomatic

I seem to recall a decent amount o 29th guys coming home with the 69th... given that, I think I'd leave it. Very likely could have been applied by or for the same man.

I am not a big helmet guy but I like the looks of a helmet that is left as is. If you want to tell the story of the helmet then being in the hands-or on the head-of a 69th guy is just as important as the rest of it. I think it looks pretty cool the way it is.

Bob

dave peifer

leave it ........thats part of the story,i would be afraid it would have a messed with look...............dave

jbassmaster18

I really do like the look of it (hence why I bought it). I was planning on leaving it alone, as I do agree its part of the helmets history was just curious what others thought. I will post pics when it and my other lids arrive.

Well stop teasing - show the whole thing! On both!

And I would NOT change this helmet. A true 29er is a dream, but you can clearly see it's there and if you get his records hopefully it will be obvious that he changed outfits to get home - a common occurrence.

This helmet came out of an auction here in Iowa in February 2016.The vet was from Arizona.(ROGER*HAWK)

The liner had only the 29th emblem on it and I had the set in hand at a gunshow where the auction company was set up advertising the up coming auction

He was with the 110th Field Artillery of the 29th Division then the 69th.I own the fighting knife that was made for him by his father and was also at the same auction.

Stripping the helmet is stripping its history and identity.There are a lot of 29th helmets...more than 69th Div in my opinion.I wouldnt even consider stripping it.

It has surived for 70 plus years a is and as stated above once its stripped its messed with.Be like sanding and refinnishing a trapdoor carbine that was at The Little Big Horn in my opinion.

The consensus is to leave it as is, and I definitely agree with that. Once you remove it, you can never put it back on, and I agree with the comments that the 69th decal improves the story that the helmet tells..

Approx. $330 per hour if you want the overpaint removed professionally; however--with no loss to the 29 insignia. Not even the patina between the 69--29. The prevailing wisdom is leave it, and I'm with that. NPerry

Johan Willaert

As others have said... Don't strip... The 29th and 69th insignia make this one very special and historical...

GeneralCheese

Thank God! Oh you meant the helmet lol

How else are we supposed to pay for this hobby? Sell our helmets? No way!