Estate Sale A-2

jayhawkhenry

jayhawkhenry

Found this A-2 at an estate sale today, I had picked up everything military I saw (wings, caps, M-50 field jacket, flight suit) and my friend who was running the sale asked if I had seen the leather flight jacket. I told her no but I was interested. She went to a back bedroom and came out with this A-2. It went for the price of all the other jackets at the sale (less than a Big Mac meal at McDonald's). Needless to say I did not leave it behind.

It is named to a gentleman who according to his obituary; " joined the Army-Air Corps in 1942 and was a Bombardier/Navigator with service in WWII, flying 36 missions. He retired from the Air Force in 1963 at the rank of Major". He passes away in 2014 at the age of 97.

The family had removed the patch on the left sleeve and almost removed the US flag on the right sleeve. If anyone has any ideas about what the patch that was removed might be, please chime in.

Thanks,

Henry

post-2722-0-02624900-1467244601.jpg

post-2722-0-84414200-1467244710.jpg

Im thinking a 15th Air Force patch.The type with the XV.

The flag on the sleeve looks Italian made and common to see the 15th wear them on the right sleeve

manayunkman

His name show up on any of the Bomb Group or Squadron web sites ?

It looks like he might have been in the 15th AAF as the insignia look Italian made.

Did someone shellac the jacket or rub it with vaseline ?

It looks too shiny

jayhawkhenry

I found him listed with the 764th Squardron, 461st Bombardment Group (H), 15th AAF. Thanks for the tip on the missing patch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jayhawkhenry

His name show up on any of the Bomb Group or Squadron web sites ?

It looks like he might have been in the 15th AAF as the insignia look Italian made.

Did someone shellac the jacket or rub it with vaseline ?

It looks too shiny 

I know t may be controversial, but I used some Picard's Antique leather dressing on it. I find it works well to soften dry leather and doesn't darken the leather. It's waiting for a wipe down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk