Help ID'ing a WW2 Veterans Engineer DUI

TheMariner

Hello all, a friend and fellow pickers father in law passed away! Her and her husband have no real connection to the stuff so decided to let a lot of the stuff go! The only military things found didnt seem to correspond with his service, a set of ww2 navy wings cap size and a USMC Sweetheart pin. This pin though did seem to correspond, he was an engineer in ww2 and was wounded and received the purple heart. I have some info about his service and a photo she sent me which i will post later.

Now there are two mysteries here first i can't find an ID for this DUI, i hunted high and low and couldn't find another even similar. Secondly in the Meyers reference section its seems to state this DUI was early 50s production and i dont believe he saw any service after ww2. Any help would be much appreciated! Unit and images to follow later today!

post-160496-0-08364400-1467136446.jpg

With incised NSM HM, also WW 2 period DI.

Thank you both for the help with this one!

Tred this one has the NYC in the hallmark that i read was only early 50s ?

To give a more of a frame of reference, the 8th Infantry was a part of the 4th Infantry Division. Was he in the 4th Div during the war?

All i know presently he was in the 4th Platoon Co D 7th BN, is that of any help is identifying if it was his ?

All i know presently he was in the 4th Platoon Co D 7th BN, is that of any help is identifying if it was his ?

Would that be 7th Engineer Battalion? If so then that's 5th Infantry Division.

I dont have that info i thought he was an engineer but now can't find anything saying that !

Welp I don't know then, that unit may of been his Basic unit whereever post that might of been, and in whatever branch.