US Army GI treasure box for mailing wooden German Machine Gun Ammunition crate

Pbaczuk

This is a neat "air tight" box used for MG munitions (1500 to be exact). A US soldier captured it and repurposed it for all kinds of goodies... sadly of which I will never know. The box carried 1500 rounds for the MG34 or MG42. The soldier was PFC Conrad from Detroit, Michigan with the 389th. The box features nice rabbited joinery and spring loaded clasps and a tin interior inset tray. Very nice

post-162927-0-70336600-1467082570.jpg

Very nice box. The inside metal liner would have been sealed with another piece of metal on the top making it air tight. The fur tropen means that the ammo was for tropical use, like North Africa. The Germans went way overboard on box construction.

Awesome. I like the detail about North African campaign use. I need a creative use for this without altering it in anyway.

I think that it would be great to display German pistols or bayonets. Id fold up a flag and place them on it! I will have to search for a box like that so I can display my collection. Looks great. Thanks for sharing.

Very nice box. The inside metal liner would have been sealed with another piece of metal on the top making it air tight. The fur tropen means that the ammo was for tropical use, like North Africa. The Germans went way overboard on box construction.

I was about to say the same on the box construction .... VERY well constructed!

Considering the craftsmanship and resources put into fabricating this box, might this be something which would have been built during the early part of the war? Seeing as it was intended for tropical climate may have answered my own question.

Very cool item for the collection!

Bryan

I might sell this box, it is kinda big and I do not know what to do with it.

Well if you do please let me know. I like these boxes.