Iwo Jima items

Pbaczuk

Hi all. When I was an enlisted Marine I was on Okinawa from 1991 to 1993. we got to do a battle study tour of Iwo Jima. Naturally, we picked up stuff as the soil wept artifacts like bullets, Japanese grenades, shrapnel and 1945 coke bottles. I also saw a flame thrower pack and an upside down M1 Sherman on the beach. In a cave I found this pipe (I took 2 pipes and traded 1 for something else). Also, here is some sand pictured. This pipes were hand made from trees on the island and an inscription is carved on the front of this one.

ViewfinderGyrene

Very niceeee, oh if you had only been able to bring back that flamethrower harness! Damn....

~VFG

is that a metal film canister that the sand is in? very cool to bring back, I'd love to have some myself for a display for my cousin KIA on Iwo Jima

turmanator

Yep that's pretty cool! I am a bit distracred with animal-instinct jealousy that not only did you get to go to Iwo but you brought back something so unique, cool and personal that had laid where it was put during use 50 years earler! You completely shattered my day!

No. I didn't own a camera at the time. Hell, this was 1992 and I was a LCpl. I regret not bringing a disposable camera with me. Some Marines had cameras I am not in touch with them. I am sure it wasn't as restricted as to where you can go and what you could nab. I have some more sand.

I have soil/sand from Bastogne, Anzio, coral from Peleliu (a Marine friend brought for me during his visit) and Iwo sand. I remember one guy found a toe bone in a cave.

I put sand originally in a big brown plastic MRE bag and transferred it to other containers. I have it in film canisters and bottles still to this day. Film containers are great for many things including coins

I put sand originally in a big brown plastic MRE bag and transferred it to other containers. I have it in film canisters and bottles still to this day. Film containers are great for many things including coins

I agree they are. my grandmother had a bunch in her sewing kit. I particularly love the metal kind like you have

Very cool! I would love to visit Iwo Jima at some point. Too bad you didn't have enough room for the upside down Sherman :lol:

turmanator

As an active duty Marine at the time I can just imagine the pride, sadness and pure awe you felt seeing the holiest of the holies of the USMC!