Modified M36 M1936 Suspenders

Pbaczuk

Hi all;

How prevalent were these M36 suspenders? And does the attached image of then Capt Winters show him wearing this type?

Paul

post-162927-0-09232400-1467060698.jpg

post-162927-0-34017700-1467060725.jpg

post-162927-0-92903500-1467060740.jpg

On Capt Winter's suspenders, the stud that normally attaches the straps together on regular M36 suspenders is missing in this image.

TheGrayGhost

I don't think there is any doubt this is what he's wearing. You can clearly see the extra padding on his shoulders, it is obviously thicker than a standard m36 and it's not the usual felt pad. I know nothing about these, maybe a paratrooper only item?

Thank you for your analysis. Maybe Winters was showing off the new M1943 issue?

I don't think there is any doubt this is what he's wearing. You can clearly see the extra padding on his shoulders, it is obviously thicker than a standard m36 and it's not the usual felt pad. I know nothing about these, maybe a paratrooper only item?

I know these have been discussed before, weren't they just the final variant of the M1936, unofficially refereed to as M1943 suspenders by collectors?

That photo is great, I haven't seen these in use in too many period photos. I'm guessing their period of manufacture was fairly brief.

I refer to them as M36. This picture of Capt Winters wearing them is the only period pic I have seen so far of them in use in the war. I will have to look harder and spend time researching pics, especially airborne soldiers.

I think Peck is in fact wearing M1943 suspenders, with the larger D-rings. The pair Pbaczuk shows seem to be the transitional M1936-type? I have a pair somewhere too.