June 21, 1916. The birth of US Submarine Base, New London (Groton), CT

aerialbridge

aerialbridge

One hundred years ago, on June 21, 1916, Commander Yates Stirling Jr. USN (1872-1948) was ordered to command of the newly designated submarine base, the Submarine Flotilla, New London, and the submarine school at what had been a naval yard, storage depot, and coaling station along the eastern terrace of the Thames River in Groton, Connecticut.

The action established Naval Submarine Base New London as the first, permanent continental submarine base of the Unites States.

http://www.dolphin-news.com/articles/2016/06/23/news/doc576164304bdf0402400750.txt

post-18406-0-82492300-1467003192.jpg

aerialbridge

In 1914, Stirling had assumed command of Submarine Flotilla, Atlantic Fleet, attached successively to the USS OZARK and USS PRAIRIE. From June 1915 until June 1916 he commanded the USS COLUMBIA, and served additionally as Aide on the Staff of Commander Submarine Flotilla, Atlantic. He was next assigned as Commander Submarine Flotilla, New London, Connecticut, where he also commanded the newly established US Submarine Base and the Submarine School at New London from June 1916 until July 1917, having additional duty from April 1917, at the outbreak of World War I, in command of the USS CHICAGO.

Ironically, almost two years to the day after he had taken command of the first US submarine base, submarine pioneer Yates Stirllng, Jr. was on the receiving end of a submarine’s lethal capabilities. On 18 June 1918, commanding the auxiliary cruiser/transport USS VON STEUBEN (ID-3017), the former German raider Kronprinz Wilhelm on a return voyage from Brest, France to New York City, Stirling successfully dodged a torpedo fired by U-151 from 600 yards and coming in at 25 knots off the port bow. In a split second decision, he ordered the unorthodox maneuver of full right rudder and emergency full speed astern. It was forty seconds that seemed like an eternity as the huge former German liner responded, dropping from seventeen knots to seven, and Stirling watched the torpedo wake pass harmlessly across the starboard bow, missing his ship and certain calamity by only a few feet. VON STEUBEN was laden with munitions and carrying in addition to its crew of a thousand, hundreds of sick and wounded soldiers and a number of women and children.

For his actions, Sterling was recommended for the DSM by the Commander-in-Chief, Atlantic Fleet, and ultimately received the Navy Cross. He was also awarded the Legion of Honor, Officer Grade, by the French President.

A dozen years later, when he was in China commanding the Yangtze Patrol, someone brought Stirling an article written by the former skipper of U-151. After narrowly dodging the German torpedo, and resuming a safe cruising speed, Stirling had ordered five depth charges dropped from VON STEUBEN'S stern, one set to explode at a depth of 100'. The charges fell alongside the German sub, the concussions knocked out the lights and sent the U-boat into an uncontrolled dive. At 400' the German captain was able to blow ballast and surface, in time to see VON STEUBEN disappear over the horizon.

Text of US congressional proclamation regarding centennial of US Submarine Base, New London-

https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/house-resolution/493/text

Connecticut Governor’s designation of 2015-2016 “Connecticut’s Submarine Century”-

http://portal.ct.gov/Departments_and_Agencies/Office_of_the_Governor/Press_Room/Press_Releases/2015/09-2015/Gov__Malloy_Designates_Year-Long_Celebration_to_Commemorate_100_Years_of_Connecticut_s_Submarine_Heritage/

post-18406-0-79373700-1467004838.jpg

That was my home for nearly half of my time in the Navy. Some of the buildings seem like they're 100 years old. I remember leaving my barracks room window cracked open all winter because the heat in the building was unbearable. I think there is 1 parking spot for every 20 cars on the base. My boat was always down at the end of the pier so I had to walk about a mile every morning from the parking lot over by the golf course. Rose's Cantina is(was?) right off base (world's worst strip club) and I spent an entire Christmas day at the IHOP with my buddy.

Thanks for posting this... it brings back some fun memories.

aerialbridge

Z, thanks for those nostalgic memories. The world's worst strip club would be no small claim to fame, so I had to google "Rose's". Apparently still there and the first link proclaims it to be on "the ultimate strip club list". I didn't click the link but looks like sailors from the sub base are still keeping old Rose and her place afloat. Or maybe Rose's is still there but underwater in red ink. As for IHop on a Christmas Day-- I could think of a lot worse places.... like Rose's! :wacko:

Apparently still there and the first link proclaims it to be on "the ultimate strip club list".

Wow. The owner must have written that one. I went there 2 times that I can recall. Once a group of buddies wanted to go there to play pool. The stripper stage was in a back corner and there were 2 "ladies" taking turns dancing. I don't think anyone actually went back there except some old man that looked like he may have been homeless. One would dance and the other would sit off to the side smoking cigarettes. My buddy called them "Port and Newport" (a play on port and report watches... and Newport cigarettes).

Another time I went because they had a midget stripper. It was just something that I had to cross off my bucket list. Don't judge me! :dry:

aerialbridge

Z- never-lest ye might judge me! :blush: Here's the orders and acknowledgements for Yates Stirling, Jr. to and from Sub Base New London. Acting SECNAV FDR signed the orders to.

post-18406-0-44406700-1468186250.jpg