Another one bites the dust

mikie

I was thrilled to see a 50% off sale sign when I pulled up to my favorite surplus store. But it only lasted a fraction of a second before I realized it was a Going Out of Business sale! The Mountain View Surplus in Campbell, Ca is closing up on July 15 after 40 years. I've been going in there on average once a month for a good part of 30 years. It was always a fun way to spend a couple of hours roaming around and getting the old fingers dusty poking through stuff. There are two more shops in the area that I know of, but neither as the character that this place has. I did manage to pick up a few odds and ends. man I'm gonna miss that place!

Mikie

post-2687-0-61061800-1467002498.jpg

post-2687-0-16895400-1467002500.jpg

By far my favorite place nearby closed 25-30 years ago. Early internet days before sites like this one got me edumacated. This place had among other things, about 10 55-gallon drums filled with M1 helmets. I think they were 5 bucks each! In those days I had no idea about fixed bales or front seams etc. I just remember digging through looking for ones with character. Turns out the few I picked were all Viet Nam era. But goodness knows what the heck were in there?

Mikie