Officers AEF Service Coat, 28th Engineers. Lt. H.C. Cronemeyer

Mitter2k1

Here is a uniform group that I just got in the mail the other day with some information about the soldier whose name is on all of the items. The tag seen inside the hat is the same as the tags that are sewn into the coat and breeches. The belt has his name written on it as well. The uniform itself is French tailor made and the buttons are back marked Maurice Bourdon, Paris. It is complete with matching breeches (not pictured), Sam Brown belt, and engineer piped overseas cap. Here is a little write up I did from my research on Ancestry.

1st Lieutenant Henry Christian Cronemeyer, Beaver, Pennsylvania

Company C, 28th Engineer Regiment, United States Army

Born January 30, 1877 to William C. and Caroline (Breuninger) Cronemeyer

Commissioned June, 1917

Engineer Officer’s Training Camp from Sept. 2, 1917 to Dec. 3, 1917

307th Engineer Regiment from Dec. 10, 1917 to Jan. 19, 1918

28th Engineer Regiment from Jan. 21, 1918 to Oct. 17, 1918

H.Q. Engineer Supply in Tours, France from Nov. 3, 1918 to Dec. 12, 1918

Bordeaux Embarkation Camp from Dec. 13, 1918 to Jan. 21, 1919

Office Chief of Engineers in Washington, D.C. from Feb. 7, 1919 to April 8, 1919

Served Overseas from June 30, 1918 to Feb. 7, 1919

Honorably Discharged on April 8, 1919

Died- February 6, 1968

Buried in Beaver Cemetery in Beaver, Pennsylvania

Thanks,

Mike

post-104697-0-24559500-1466967868.jpg

post-104697-0-95770500-1466967868.jpg

• 4 months later...

I'm surprised there hasn't been any comments about this uniform after 4 months. I guess no one has interest in French made WWI uniforms.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Hi Mike!

I haven't been as active this summer, so I obviously missed this thread (thanks for bringing it back up!) when it was first posted. I think it is a fantastic specimen of the high quality uniforms available at the time. I like that it is named to an Engineer officer too! The condition is immaculate.

RC

Hi Mike!

I haven't been as active this summer, so I obviously missed this thread (thanks for bringing it back up!) when it was first posted. I think it is a fantastic specimen of the high quality uniforms available at the time. I like that it is named to an Engineer officer too! The condition is immaculate.

RC

Thank you RC. To be honest, I haven't been as busy here as I used to.What really caught my attention during my research of this was the unit. I can honestly say I have not seen much of anything about the 28th Engineers, let alone items related to them. I should really do some more digging on them and see what I find out.

Thanks again,

Mike

Hi Mike,

It is a beauty of a uniform, and great that the belt is also named to him. It looks like you have done a lot of research on him already, but I will see if I can find a unit history. The 28th was a quarry unit (which is pretty cool really, especially when you look at the roles and services provided by the engineers in WWI) and as of 11/11/1918 had two battalions in France, each battalion consisting of three companies.

RC

Thank you. It's become the centerpiece of my uniform collection as its probably the most complete set. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with for a unit history on the 28th.

Thanks again,

Mike

Glad this one came back up as I missed it the first time around! Great looking uniform!

He is mentioned in a Pittsburgh paper concerning the Syria Temple's Service Flag, which I believe is a Masonic temple.

http://files.usgwarchives.net/pa/allegheny/military/military-index-c.txt

CRONEMEYER Henry C  Syria Temple Service Flag     WW1  1918-05-13     Gazette Times  12

Thank you Beast and thank you for the additional info. It's always a bonus to be able to add details from the veterans life after their service.

-Mike

I was looking back over my photos and realized that I forgot to add a pic of the rank insignia. It has some really nice bullion on wool Lt. bars stitched to the shoulders. These seem to be "fancier" than what is usually seen with the extra detail put into the border.

Thanks,

Mike

post-104697-0-08625900-1477882108.jpg