Back Style B-20 Parachute

Jeff TX

I won an online auction with the only picture being the OD green canvas bag marked "Aviator's Kit Bag AN 6505-1 Property US Government" and an auction listing that the aviator's kit bag included a back style parachute.

Once the big box arrived at my home I was pleased to find inside the bag a fully packed and marked parachute: BACK STYLE PARACHUTE 28 FT DIA; PART NO. 50C7024-20; Date of Mfr. Oct 1950; MFR'D By Irving air Chute, Inc; Contract No. AF 36(600)8504

I have not found the parachute inspection record. Can someone tell me where to find the record?

post-13283-0-82942700-1466958012.jpg

post-13283-0-39422000-1466958039.jpg

northcoastaero

Nice parachute. The parachute record booklet pocket could be on the front side of the parachute container behind the back pad or

on the container lower side flaps. The zippered pocket on the top left corner of the back of the container is for an

automatic ripcord release/parachute opener. Hope this helps.

phantomfixer

So the listing had no pic of the chute inside the bag? Nice surprise...and bet that it is all intact...or at least a good possibility...

Gentlemen- thanks for the responses!

Northcoastaero- I found the log right where you said to look but it only contained information for the last inspection in 1983.

Phantomfixer- I knew when I was bidding that the contents could have been trashed so I didn't gamble much. Yes- you are correct the aviator's kit is complete and I believe a re-inspection will certify the chute is safe for use.

I still need to get the numbers off the harness as the buckles are all minty. I'll take some more pictures and post later today.

post-13283-0-57908700-1467040306.jpg

post-13283-0-67649600-1467040397.jpg

phantomfixer

Looks like a civilian log book? I was thinking the chute was from the USAF used during the 50/60s....others with more expertise in chutes can help...but thinking older chute then surplused and repacked with a new canopy for use in the 80s???

Just found a website that still sells them for operational use...pretty cool IMO

I was a little disappointed not finding a USAF Record and I agree it must have been surplused. I see I made a typo on my first post as the Date of Mfr should be Oct 1960 not 1950.

northcoastaero

The parachute container appears to be sage green and the risers appear to be olive green? The sage green color for the USAF was introduced around 1953-1954. Do you have an image of the front of the assy.?

northcoastaero

The riser releases on the shoulders are Capewell fittings. These are the later fittings with the inner cable releases. The earlier ones were T-shaped with a squeeze release. Then came the larger housings with squeeze releases, and then the cable releases. Your B-20 harness has snaphook chest and leg releases. Later ones had quick ejector snaphooks. Nice chute! The risers appear to be sage green also in the front image.

I appreciate the riser release details. I think I will take it to a parachute rigger for a canopy inspection and also take some pictures. Thanks again for sharing your knowledge!

BlueBookGuy

these the two original quick-release fittings as they should show up on such a early '50s USAF parachute:

post-151851-0-97454800-1467094083.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

For Anyone Looking for a 1960's Parachute Rig search on EBAY, for the above item, by entering 112054208581

• 4 weeks later...

According to the D. Poynter's book, the 50C7024-20 set was used by Army in 1971. The date of mgf only indicates the date of the manufacturing of the bag itself. These sets also have been well used by civilians in the 60/70/80's. Perhaps still after. USAF combat aircrafts have used only some particuliar and dedicated versions of the 50C7024-xx serie.

Franck

• 5 months later...

Just an FYI on the B-20 in USAF inventory...just came from DAFB Rigger shop...their TO still covers the B20 parachute, and is still in use in some active USAF squadrons...a certain USAF helicopter squadron was mentioned, as still using/preferring the B20 parachute