My Funky Little War Room

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eaglesnap .45 pouch. One of my favorites. All my pouches are complete with Mags. In this case with the Eaglesnap the magazines are the Lanyard Loop mags.

post-7752-0-28675500-1467276320.jpeg

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

I have a few more .45 pouches I would like to show but have not made photos. I will do that tomorrow.

Here are some compass pouches. All complete with compasses.

post-7752-0-68851900-1467276487.jpeg

post-7752-0-64714700-1467276495.jpeg

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

Here is a photo of a canteen, canteen cup, and mess kit polished to a super shine! For a large portion of my collecting life I didn't think there was anything to this. I had seen shined gear before. GI's would not shine there mess gear like this I thought. In 1994 a fellow moved to town that came to me for insurance. We hit it off and I really liked him. He was a good bit older than me and had served in Germany from 53 to 55 IIRC. While visiting one day he just happened to tell me that one of the first things he had to do along with the other new guys in his outfit was to get their mess kit gear and canteens out and put a high shine on them. That was the way their Sgt. or Lt. or otherwise Commanding Officer wanted it. So when you see something like this it could have been done because some outfit was ordered to do it. I found this set up at a show in Franklin, TN a few years back. Which ironically is where my friend had moved from. It actually looks pretty sharp all cleaned up like this.

post-7752-0-78392500-1467276679.jpeg

post-7752-0-09098900-1467276694.jpeg

Here is a photo of a canteen, canteen cup, and mess kit polished to a super shine! For a large portion of my collecting life I didn't think there was anything to this. I had seen shined gear before. GI's would not shine there mess gear like this I thought. In 1994 a fellow moved to town that came to me for insurance. We hit it off and I really liked him. He was a good bit older than me and had served in Germany from 53 to 55 IIRC. While visiting one day he just happened to tell me that one of the first things he had to do along with the other new guys in his outfit was to get their mess kit gear and canteens out and put a high shine on them. That was the way their Sgt. or Lt. or otherwise Commanding Officer wanted it. So when you see something like this it could have been done because some outfit was ordered to do it. I found this set up at a show in Franklin, TN a few years back. Which ironically is where my friend had moved from. It actually looks pretty sharp all cleaned up like this.

I really like the look of that!

"America shall win the war. Therefore, I will work. I will save. I will sacrifice. I will endure. I will fight cheerfully and do my utmost, as if the whole issue of the struggle depended on me alone." -Martin A. Treptow Jake L.

NO ONE IN HISTORY HAS EVER CHOKED TO DEATH FROM SWALLOWING THEIR PRIDE.

Heaven help me, how I miss my friend

Nice pouches. What's the story on the camo pouch, looks like it is made out of a USMC poncho?

Collecting WWI 26th Division Machine Gun and Infantry related Helmets, Equipment, Groupings, Photos and Dog Tags!

donation2015.gif

David that first aid pouch is a fantasy piece. There could have been some of those made during the war because it is known that Marine Raiders or Paratroopers were given extra Camo material to camouflage their gear. You may be familiar with the t-handle shovel covers made from Camo material. I had my buddy make a bunch of these a few years back. The same guy that made the repro 1910 pouches that I showed first above. I sold them all with the exception of this one and saved it for my collection.

Thanks.

Ronnie

I guess I just realized that since this really isn't a display it should not be posted here. I think the helmets should go in the headgear section. However the helmets are in a display....but I think the rest of the photos should go in the Personal Gear and Web Gear Section. Can a Mod. please move it....or is it even necessary?

Thanks.

Ronnie

Many of you have seen these around....re-enforced pouch. But why? By who. Have heard for paratroopers but I have never seen one being used by paratroopers. Seems to me to be over-build!

The ends of these aid pouches do start to heavily fray from use when actively worn so this is a great solution, cool find!

Ok thanks eaglerunner. Appreciate that info.

Do you think it is an end of war or post war modification...maybe for the Korean War?

Thanks again.

Ronnie

Yes Scott I do have some. I'm about to add some more so I will have a complete "stick." Also bout to add the C47 in scale. It's gonna be cool!

Ronnie

• 1 month later...

Late fifties early Vietnam era first aid pouch....notice no drainage hole.

I don't know if you know or not but that Vietnam War compass\field dressing pouch is part of the M-1956 gear series. None of the M-56 gear had a drainage hole. That started with the M-1967 series. I too collect WWII US Gear, but not near as large-scale as you. My brother collects Vietnam War US Gear. When he first started collecting and would ask me about something Vietnam, I would be all confused because I knew nothing about Vietnam War stuff. I don't blame you if you didn't know.

Dedicated to my great grandfather, Pvt. Harry E. Stevenson, of Detachment 6, 166th Signal Photographic Company, 5th Infantry Division, 3rd Army.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

"Hard times create strong men, strong men create easy times, easy times create weak men, weak men create hard times" -Unknown

Not a problem here WWIIman. I didn't know that. I just thought it was something that changed along the way as so much other stuff did. I do believe these pouches are not as common as the M67 series. Anyway thank you for your input.

Ronnie