BDU/DCU Uniform Find

MT247

Hi All, found these today and even know I don't usually collect modern uniforms, I thought there were pretty neat. Would like some comments on these. Name patch is gone but I found a name written inside the jackets. If there is any interest, there are quite a few more for sale I can pick up. Thanks

post-157549-14667908046583.jpgpost-157549-14667908201892.jpgpost-157549-14667908261259.jpgpost-157549-14667908321381.jpg

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

I would say there is probably interest. These are from a soldier of the 173d Airborne Brigade who made the 26 MAR 2003 combat jump onto Bashur Airfield in northern Iraq during OIF I. Note the star on his jump wings. There may be a jump manifest out there somewhere that you can check his name against.

Thanks B229 for the info. Just wondering if o should pick the others up and put them for sale on the forum.

Thanks B229 for the info. Just wondering if o should pick the others up and put them for sale on the forum.

​It would probably depend on how much you're paying for them, the condition, and patch configuration, etc. won't hurt to try. good luck

I think I will probably have a couple extra BDU jackets or I can get a couple more of there is any interest

• 2 weeks later...

BDU would be from after he got back from the deployment and applied the mustard stain. The DCU jacket is typical of the deployment to Afghanistan after Iraq. Good pick ups either way, if there are more there will be an interest with GWOT collectors :)

Thanks wiliki46, I did sell a couple pairs that I had and kept one pair but I guess I never put them up on the for sale section. Don't usually collect from this era but thought they were neat.

• 2 weeks later...

What's with the modified DCU's? I thought only Rangers and other high-speed units put pockets on the sleeves. Was that a paratrooper/173rd thing as well?

Mercenary25

Turko, the modified DCU became SOP of the 173rd for their Afghanistan deployment. Many modified DCUs were seen worn by soldiers from leg units. That practice was copied from Rangers and SOF because it is useful. At this point Army decided to add sleeve pockets on their experiment uniforms, CU and CCU.

Mercenary25

To MT247, the 173rd is basically GWOT equivalent to WWII 101st.

Can you provide the name so I can look up on Operation Northern Delay jump manifest? I am curious.

Fender Rhodes

Some Recon Marine and Force Recon Marines were adding pockets to the sleeves of their 'field' cammies in the 90's. It was not an uncommon practice heading into the GWOT...

that modification on the DCU was made for their 2005 deployment,sewed on a italian shop outside Ederle barracks in italy. Basically they were all outfitted with uniforms modified that way. Very nice.

Thanks for all the additional information everyone, being a ww2 collector, I didn't know the history behind these. Very neat