36th Bombardment Squadron Unofficial Patch - My First Painted Patch

stratasfan

Hi, all! Wanted to share my latest project! On Sunday afternoon, I got the paints out and was painting a present for a friend. Well, I finished it in less time than I thought, and decided to try my hand at a leather patch. Uncle Harold's bomb squadron had an unofficial patch, which apparently has but one surviving example (on a flying jacket belonging to a pilot). I've attached a picture of the original one. So, I've wanted to do one for ages, and decided I'd give a shot at painting my own! I actually got blue pig skin, and didn't paint the background. As it is for a display, I thought it might be cool to use the blue leather as the background. I have had to email with a couple of people who specialize in leather patches, to decide what colours those were originally, and decide on some of the missing details. So, here is a picture of what I ended up with! I am really happy with it, being my first one. The pig skin is a little thinner than leather patches probably tend to be, but this will mount really well. The thin leather would probably be good for wearing on things, if you wanted a patch on a jacket, too. I've never painted on leather before, so I thought an easy one to start with wasn't a bad way to go! All in all . . . it was very fun! (Many thanks to Johnny for all the encouragement he has given me over the past year or so. I think I am ready to try my hand at a completely painted one now!)

post-151812-0-35956700-1466767554.jpg

The original:

post-151812-0-74092400-1466767529.jpg

BILL THE PATCH

Your a true artist , keep it up Elizabeth. Outstanding!

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the comments! I'm really excited about this, especially as I was just doing it as a quick thought. Sometimes it is best to just try something when it comes into your mind, instead of waiting and planning for a future "perfect" time. ;) Johnny, thanks for all the encouragement you've given me about painting leather! I'm going to try painting another of these, as the brother of the tail gunner, who died with Uncle Harold, really wants one now. :) I really enjoyed the painting. Painting isn't really my forte. I prefer engraving on rocks, more! I've considered engraving the patch design on a rock, to see how it would turn out. Just engraved my first face on a rock, and was happy with it in the end. Maybe I should try a rock paperweight with the patch on it!

I was also thinking it would be fun to take a leather back and paint the patch on it. For sure, there are really endless possibilities! :)